blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Why do the make graphics cards so the are facing down? When the give off the there heat and the heat wants to travel up, its just sitting on the card. So the card is getting drenched in its own sweat making it hotting. They should flip it around...

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

RichPLS

Champion
I agree. Then you could easier see the cooler and fan, and some have cool designs on them.
Must be some engineering reason for this.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
I think it's as simple as the first PC boxes were desktops, not towers... so it didn't matter which end was up. It was an arbartrary decision that cards would fit in the way they do, with more space on the left side, I reckon.

Just one of those things.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As well they could have. They could have simply stuck the chip and cooler on the top side and STILL had the rest of the card upside-down. But they didn't, and now there's stuff in the way.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ISA cards were rightside-up. PCI cards came out well after towers. The real reason I believe they made PCI cards upside-down is so that they could put PCI and AGP slots in the same location of the case. And then AGP came along using a similar design to PCI.

You see on a lot of older boards 1 AGP, 4-5 PCI, and 2-3 ISA slots. 1 AGP plus 5 PCI plus 2 ISA is common, that's 8 slots competing for 7 slots in the case, hence some PCI and ISA slots would share the same location on the case and provided the either/or proposition.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>