XP Home will not boot on new hard drive

May 16, 2005 11:23:35 PM

I have copied the contents of my 40 g hard drive to a newly formatted 120 g
hard drive using the disk copy function in Ghost v9.0. I then disconnected
the 40 g hard drive and set the pin on the 120 g as master. When I start up
XP appears to be booting up but then stops with the blue bordered screen with
the XP logo on it. I have tried putting my XP Home edition CD in the cd
drive while starting but get the same result. I spoke to Microsoft Support
but they told me that I should speak to Norton. That does not appear to be
an option. Any help appreciated.

More about : home boot hard drive

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:26:57 AM

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/windowsxp/c­hoose.mspx

------------------------------­------------------------------­------------------------------­-

"tonyb" wrote:

| I have copied the contents of my 40 g hard drive to a newly formatted 120 g
| hard drive using the disk copy function in Ghost v9.0. I then disconnected
| the 40 g hard drive and set the pin on the 120 g as master. When I start up
| XP appears to be booting up but then stops with the blue bordered screen with
| the XP logo on it. I have tried putting my XP Home edition CD in the cd
| drive while starting but get the same result. I spoke to Microsoft Support
| but they told me that I should speak to Norton. That does not appear to be
| an option. Any help appreciated.
May 17, 2005 4:00:08 PM

Hi Carey,
I guess that you are telling me that I must do the XP Repair Install? I
wish there was some other way around it.
Thanks for your help.