New to wireless.....

becks

(Oops last time I didn't post this to the whole group)

Hey guys,

Am looking to install a wireless network in my house and was going
down the Netgear route until I read the posts on this group!
So, if people have the time I would appreciate to know what people
would recommend.

DSL Cable Connection to Blueyonder (UK)
Need full security encryption etc as will be using it for logging onto
work servers etc.
Integrated firewall
Looking at using g but needs to be able to auto switch to incorporate
a b wireless card on a laptop.

**Need the ability to possible add booster at some point in the future
(which most don't seem to do) if the range isn't big enough. Or can
you get an additional antenna that I can run from the room that the
router will be stationed to the outside of the house?

(One computer running Win2000, two on WinXP Pro and one XPHome :-S .)

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with these enhanced "Super G"
wireless and whether they're a path worth going down?

Thanks for any time, advice,

Becks

becks@otuscomputing.com (Becks) wrote in

> Am looking to install a wireless network in my house and was going
> down the Netgear route until I read the posts on this group!
> So, if people have the time I would appreciate to know what people
> would recommend.

All routers are just as bad... Linksys, Dlink, Netgear are all the same.

> Or can
> you get an additional antenna that I can run from the room that the
> router will be stationed to the outside of the house?

Yup, you can get an antenna. Or some APs allow you to turn them into a
repeater. Or you can install more APs.

> Can anyone tell me what the deal is with these enhanced "Super G"
> wireless and whether they're a path worth going down?

Propreitary format to boost speeds. XtremeG, SuperG, Speedboster, etc all
help, but they're not compatible with each other. If you plan on buying
equipment from multiple companies, I wouldn't worry about this feature
too much.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:49:04 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
wrote:

>becks@otuscomputing.com (Becks) wrote in
>
>> Am looking to install a wireless network in my house and was going
>> down the Netgear route until I read the posts on this group!
>> So, if people have the time I would appreciate to know what people
>> would recommend.
>
>All routers are just as bad... Linksys, Dlink, Netgear are all the same.

In my experience the Netgear equipment is very difficult to set up
successfully. And their support is a bad joke. The Linksys stuff
that I bought to replace Netgear works much better, and they actually
have tech support, although it is rarely needed.

wireless user <flupflup@nubnub.net> wrote in

> And their support is a bad joke. The Linksys stuff
> that I bought to replace Netgear works much better, and they actually
> have tech support, although it is rarely needed.

I found both to be the same - tho netgear was willing to replace my
hardware with no hassle.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

>Need full security encryption etc as will be using it for logging onto
>work servers etc.
>Integrated firewall

If you need reliable and fully featured wireless router you will find
Draytek Vigor 2900G is probably the best choice.
Not cheap, but lot less hassle then Netgear etc.
The G spec wifi is far faster then your broadband connection and fast enough
to stream video between your computers.
The non standard souped up turbo wifi can interfere with other wifi
transmissions.
Regards,
Martin