kevinm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
I have a NDVIDA MX420 64Mb graphics card fitted to my system.
I have been connecting the TV via the S-video output on the card. When I watch some MPG music files I get a line across the TV screen.
This only seems to happen if the video content is changing fast.
Is this because the video graphics processor on the card is slow and the memory is only 64 Mb.
If so can any one recommend a 4X AGP card that would be suitable for displaying a good picture on the TV.

cleeve

Illustrious
Bad video has nothing to do with the amount of memory on the card. It's a driver issue or something.

In any case, I find that radeons have awesome TV output. Any Radeon 7500 or better will do very nicely.

kevinm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Thanks for your reply.
my friend has a ATI 9200 128Mb card his processor is a 3G pentium 4 but he still gets the same problem.
I have herd if you are using TV out you should make the TV the primary monitor.
Can you or anyone clarify this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kev

cleeve

Illustrious
You don't necessarily have to make it the primary, you can set bothe the TV and monitor to use the same primary RAMDAC; but it won't look so good on your monitor at 60hz.

But it should help either way. That's how I've always run it, I had a Radeon 7500 and 8500 this way on an old Athlon 1200, with no problems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some software and some cards won't play some video (stuff with Macrovision copy protection) on the secondary output.

On the other hand, some software won't play Macrovision protected files at all on certain GeForce2 cards because they detect the TV-Out chip is non-Macrovision compliant (meaning the card can't produce the part that makes VCR's go funny). DVD zone has a page dedicated to the second issue.

But those problems would normally result in the TV having a black box where the video should appear.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>