Sign in with
Your question

NUB graphix card questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2004 2:51:12 PM

Hey i got a couple nub questions that would be great if someone could help me out. first off.
1. 9800pro flashed to xt can someone explain how that works......and what benifets etc
2. what does aa do and y is it good on off or what multiplier is good etc. thx guys
September 28, 2004 4:28:31 PM

Flashing to XT doesn't do that much except force the clocks to XT speeds and showing up as an XT in the driver, I think you're better off just overclocking it to XT speeds (or as far as you can go before artifacts occur).

AA is antialiassing. It smoothes the jagged edges on 3d objects in games.
the number (i,.e. 2xAA) is the number of samples (I think per pixel?) that it's algorythm uses to decide how to antialias the scene. 2xAA is much easier on the videocard than 4xAA, etc.

Try out the different settings and see how it runs. You will find that AA looks very nice, but if you have any but the most powerful videocards it will slow your system down alot.

September 28, 2004 7:30:36 PM

ok that helped out alot i guess my next question is i didnt really know you could flash graphix cards i thought it was just drivers..... i just know eeprom is what stores bios and thats y u can flash it cuz it erasable.... so maybe if you could explain flashing a card.... thx for all the other info as well
Related resources
September 28, 2004 7:49:46 PM

Quote:
Flashing to XT doesn't do that much except force the clocks to XT speeds and showing up as an XT in the driver, I think you're better off just overclocking it to XT speeds (or as far as you can go before artifacts occur).

That's actually wrong...XT BIOS not only runs different clocks but also much tighter mem timings. This explains why people get higher FPS with the XT BIOS in (nearly) everything than they do at just XT clocks. IMO, flashing is definitely worth it, even though the mem OC *can* be significantly reduced (more so on Samsung than on Hynix in my experience).

Anyway, AA is the [-peep-] if your system can handle it.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
September 28, 2004 9:01:11 PM

Vapor is right, of course. But I wasn't aware the memory timings made that significant a difference.

Surely less than 2 fps in a game situation at equal clock speeds, no?

September 28, 2004 9:57:35 PM

It *REALLY* depends! The higher the settings, the bigger the gain. Sometimes it's not noticable, but in Vice City it affords me to run 8xAF over 4xAF (with 1280x960, 2xAA)...likewise in 3DMark03, peoples scores will often go up 200-400 points (into the mid/high 6000s). The gains are occasionally noticable, other times it really means nothing.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
September 29, 2004 5:02:35 PM

lol sounds good guys but how do you flash your graphix card? no one really touched on that
September 29, 2004 6:02:46 PM

Oh, forgot the Toms overclocking forum has video bios info.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
September 29, 2004 6:12:34 PM

wow holy crap great article lovin it thx alot man
!