Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for a gaming laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 15, 2012 5:04:02 PM

Im looking for a laptop primarily for gaming. Before everyone goes on a rant that i could just buy a desktop, i need this laptop for college classes as well. Ive been looking at used/refurb laptops. I have no issues buying used computers, as long as i dont to it blind. The models i have my eyes on are the ASUS g53, the ASUS g73 and g74, and i recently saw Clevo W110ER that looked pretty interesting as well. Im pretty good with computers and im just trying to get some feedback as to which of these would be a better choice overall, and maybe some suggestions to alternatives.

EDIT: Forgot price! sorry! Im looking for something around 1000USD, no higher than 1200USD and like i said, buying used it OK for me

More about : gaming laptop

a b D Laptop
August 15, 2012 5:24:09 PM

edhogan1224 said:
Im looking for a laptop primarily for gaming. Before everyone goes on a rant that i could just buy a desktop, i need this laptop for college classes as well. Ive been looking at used/refurb laptops. I have no issues buying used computers, as long as i dont to it blind. The models i have my eyes on are the ASUS g53, the ASUS g73 and g74, and i recently saw Clevo W110ER that looked pretty interesting as well. Im pretty good with computers and im just trying to get some feedback as to which of these would be a better choice overall, and maybe some suggestions to alternatives.


What is your budget? need to know that before the community can start making their suggestions... =)
August 15, 2012 6:24:22 PM

I just edited, price is now in main post :) 
Related resources
August 15, 2012 6:33:34 PM

I'm not a fan of used but I use and highly recommend the Asus Republic of Gamers g55vw found new on Amazon for around 1,200 bucks.
August 15, 2012 7:22:49 PM

I found this lenovos at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This Asus:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this Lenovo in the Lenovo web page:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

I think that most Lenovos screens are glassy but im not sure if those models are.
The lenovos come with i7 3rd Gen and Nvidia 660m and the Asus has i7 2nd Gen and a 560m.
Asus laptops are known for being good quality laptops.
August 15, 2012 7:31:31 PM

Ive heard mixed messages about the capabilities of the 6XX Nvidias, any insight? How would it compare to the 560m in the G53? Also, i know that the the G-Series (ASUS) has a 3d option, anybody tried that, how well does that work? If it helps, my goal is to play BF3 at Med+ settings on native res and id like to play Crysis 3 on Med+ as well. Also, as far as the clevo goes, im not sure if 11" would be too small or not. But, Hiii, great suggestions, ill definitely keep those in mind.
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2012 8:26:43 PM

The Y580 seems to be the best bang for your buck with the 3rd gen i7 and the 2GB 660m currently. The Clevo 110er isn't a bad little machine, if it seems a little small you could attach it via hdmi to a tv and use usb kb and mouse and it's perfect for in the dorm but the 660m would be better than the 650m for gaming.
August 15, 2012 11:08:07 PM

I think that the Lenovo in the Lenovo web page is the best lenovo laptop.
Asus laptops are well made but as airanp said the 660m better than the 650m (and 560m).
August 16, 2012 1:10:26 PM

Hiii said:
I think that the Lenovo in the Lenovo web page is the best lenovo laptop.
Asus laptops are well made but as airanp said the 660m better than the 650m (and 560m).



Comparatively though, if say the Clevo has a 650m with a res of 1366x768 and the Lenovo has the 660m with a res of 1920x1080, is the 660m better enough that it would perform on par with the 650m on a smaller screen? Also, i believe that the Clevo and the Lenovo's are GT 6XX as opposed to the ASUS being the GTX 4XX/5XX. The GTX is the highest performance designation, while GT is the next lowest. Would the GT 6XX still perform better than the GTX 4XX/5XX?
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2012 7:01:29 AM

edhogan1224 said:
Comparatively though, if say the Clevo has a 650m with a res of 1366x768 and the Lenovo has the 660m with a res of 1920x1080, is the 660m better enough that it would perform on par with the 650m on a smaller screen? Also, i believe that the Clevo and the Lenovo's are GT 6XX as opposed to the ASUS being the GTX 4XX/5XX. The GTX is the highest performance designation, while GT is the next lowest. Would the GT 6XX still perform better than the GTX 4XX/5XX?


The lenovo is a GTX 660m and according to benchmarks is performing about 30% better than the GT 650m. With that in mind I would believe that it would give you the performance you are looking for. The 660m is rated at being able to play all current games, to include the GPU intensive games at med to high settings with ease at 1080p where as the 650 is only able to hit low to med on the more hard core games. At 768p it will be able to hit more towards med and sometimes high but there is still a noticeable difference between the two. Since the 1080p y580 is in your price range I would highly suggest you pick that one up. You won't be disappointed.
September 13, 2012 1:24:38 PM

Ok, so after some consideration and much watching of youtube videos of people playing games, im stuck between the power of the Lenovo Y580, and the portability of the Clevo W110ER/Sager NP6110. And to jonson001, no offense, but im not an Alienware fan. Theres no denying their power, but they are way overpriced and im just not a big fan of how flashy they are. It would really be nice if i could get some insight from people that actually own or have used either the Y580 or the W110ER, so if any of you know someone who has experience with them, direct them to this thread. Thanks!
!