Wireless problems

yvonne

Hi, ive just set up a adhoc network to share my broardband connection. One
pc with a pci modem and a wifi card and the other just with a wifi card.
Every thing worked well but when i moved the pc with the modem to another
room i could not get the wifi net to connect? any ideas?

"Yvonne" <Yvonne@Yvonne.com> wrote in message
> Hi, ive just set up a adhoc network to share my broardband connection. One
> pc with a pci modem and a wifi card and the other just with a wifi card.
> Every thing worked well but when i moved the pc with the modem to another
> room i could not get the wifi net to connect? any ideas?

A WIFI card doesn't have as much power as an AP or router, you may have to
go this route.

>A WIFI card doesn't have as much power as an AP or router, you may have to
>go this route.

Nonsense. All wifi equipment is limited to 100mW. The PC Card transmission
efficiency (not the same as power) determines if it will work, it needs to
send data back to the AP !

The problem is probably insufficient signal between the wifi cards, you may
need to experiment with positioning either or both, sometimes half an inch
can make a difference.
In this respect USB adapters on end of a cable are much easier to place.
Putting them 5' high often works better - no furniture in the way.
Regards,
Martin

"Martin²" <never@give.onet> wrote in

>>A WIFI card doesn't have as much power as an AP or router, you may
>>have to go this route.
>
> Nonsense. All wifi equipment is limited to 100mW. The PC Card
> transmission efficiency (not the same as power) determines if it will
> work, it needs to send data back to the AP !

You can get 200mW equipment: http://www.netgate.com/

The transmit power always varies by brand. For example, Linksys equipment
transmits at a maximum of 15dBm (only 31.6mW) whlie SMC does 19dDm+
(79.4mW+).

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For 802.11b and 802.11g in Europe, the ETSI-mandated limit is 100 mW. The
FCC limit in the U.S. (applicable also in Canada, I believe) is 1000 mw. See
ETS 300-328 for European requirements, and FCC 15.247 for U.S. requirements.