SLI & those really wide heatsinks on 6800Ultras

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I've notice that the 6800 Ultra's usually take up two slots with the cooling solution. It seems that there is going to be a lot of tinkering to get SLI going. Removing those heat sinks and installing an alternative cooling system. I hope they take SLI into account when releasing future high end cards. Advertisements talk about an OCT 04 release for SLI M/Bs.

Geoff.

Uh, perhaps some research before posting this would've helped?

Look at MOBOs that support multiple PCIe graphics slots, they have big spaces between 16x and 8x slots occupied usually by one or two 1X slots. Workstation cards have as big if not bigger heatsinks, so this was already a consideration even for just arrays. But none the less there will still be airflow restriction unless they put the cards on opposite ends, and don't have any other add-ins. But that never stopped the SFF folks.

So no need to remove things to make it work. They have already considered this (not surprisingly).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: