connection S L O W I N G down!

May 17, 2005 7:12:02 AM

Just recently my connection to the internet has slowed down incredibly.
It can take 5 mins or more just to open the home page on my ISP, Wanadoo.
I am on a dial-up 56K modem which reports a speed of around 45.2Kb/s.
When I try to go to a website I will ofen get just the top of the page and
then the modem activity stops for ages. It might then restart for a few more
bytes and stop again. My ISP says that they have no problems and that the
cause is a MSWinXP upgrate damaging Norton IS. No-ne else seems to have heard
of this problem. I reinstalled NortonIS but of course I need a 20mb down load
to bring everything up to date. I simply cannot get the download as the
system is so slow.
I also notice that on the status report on the connection (click on the two
computers icon) I get masses of errors on the receive side. Just to contact
his board I have received 155Kb and incurred 253 errors - increasing as I
write!! Is thisa level of error normal? What could cause the errors?
I have not added any new progs to cause this to happen, it just suddenly got
very slow.
Any help or advice greatfully received.

More about : connection

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:05:01 PM

"Peebs" <Peebs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just recently my connection to the internet has slowed down incredibly.
> It can take 5 mins or more just to open the home page on my ISP, Wanadoo.
> I am on a dial-up 56K modem which reports a speed of around 45.2Kb/s.
> When I try to go to a website I will ofen get just the top of the page and
> then the modem activity stops for ages. It might then restart for a few
> more
> bytes and stop again. My ISP says that they have no problems and that the
> cause is a MSWinXP upgrate damaging Norton IS. No-ne else seems to have
> heard
> of this problem. I reinstalled NortonIS but of course I need a 20mb down
> load
> to bring everything up to date. I simply cannot get the download as the
> system is so slow.
> I also notice that on the status report on the connection (click on the
> two
> computers icon) I get masses of errors on the receive side. Just to
> contact
> his board I have received 155Kb and incurred 253 errors - increasing as I
> write!! Is thisa level of error normal? What could cause the errors?
> I have not added any new progs to cause this to happen, it just suddenly
> got
> very slow.
> Any help or advice greatfully received.

Whilst you will get errors when using a modem, you are getting more that you
would reasonably expect. This would indicate a problem either with the
modem, the line or driver software. I would suspect the modem or the driver
software. It would be worth reinstalling the drivers for your modem
(uninstall the modem and then reinstall). I don't think that uninstalling
the modem should take out your dial-up connections, but it might do so make
sure you can restore those if you have to. If that doesn't make any
difference then see if there is a more up to date driver available for your
modem.

Failing that, see if you can borrow someone else's modem. If the problem
does away then it is related to the modem.

Hope you get it working,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:05:02 PM

Brian,
Thanks for the quick response. Today, I pre-empted your advice and bought a
new modem which I will install tonight. I will let you know if that clears it.
Thanks again,

!