Picktures saved in bitmap

when i try to save a picture from internet it can only be saved in bitmap
format insted of jpg, this has been like this only for two days before it was
saved in jpg
what to do?

It's time to perform some routine computer maintenance:

Go to Start > Run and type: CLEANMGR.EXE , and hit enter.
This will start your disk cleanup utility. Make sure to cleanup
your Temporary Internet Files.

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978&Product=ie600

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650&Product=ie600

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

On Tue, 17 May 2005 04:16:02 -0700, Haddock wrote:

> when i try to save a picture from internet it can only be saved in bitmap
> format insted of jpg, this has been like this only for two days before it was
> saved in jpg
> what to do?

Empty your Temporary Internet Files. It's full at the moment and that
causes the JPG save option to disappear. (Using "compressed graphics" with
AOL's software will cause this too. Turn it off in the AOL software if this
applies to you).

Close all browser windows. Go to Control Panel (classic view)> Internet
Options> General> Temporary Internet Files. Click the Delete Files button.
Answer "yes" to the question about offline content.

While you're in here, you may want to use the Settings button to decrease
the size allowed for TIF. The default setting is 10-12% of the total drive
space. Way too much for most browsing purposes. Move the slider down. I use
200MB. Some would consider that number still too much but you can
experiment to see what works best for you.

Relaunch browser and you should have the option to save as JPG again.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Haddock Wrote:
> when i try to save a picture from internet it can only be saved in
> bitmap
> format insted of jpg, this has been like this only for two days before
> it was
> saved in jpg
> what to do? I have had the same problem before, I am interested to know the
solution about this too.

--
MS Expert
MS Expert's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5413

Hi Haddock,

This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.

1. Start Internet Explorer
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the General tab.
4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

Clear the Temporary Internet Files using the Windows XP Disk Cleanup
utility:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/clearxptif.htm

FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original format
in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx

More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User