New Intel SSDs In a Few Weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Will SSDs ever be as cheap as conventional HDD? Maybe, but not in the near future. As such, they will be "cheaper" but you will still have all those people who will say "but the price-per-GB is so horrible".

I don't know, when I had my SSD a while back (SuperTalent 30GB for $400), I liked the performance I got out of it. I didn't like the increasing "OS not detected" error messages and the lack of drive detection at boot-up. However, I suspect the new round of Intel drivers will help push costs down. If they can really save on power (and heat) with Windows 7, then I might consider upgrading both on my laptop.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Performance to me is more important than being cheaper, the drives will last longer
so the price differance will pay out. However the performance is what i'm worried
about, are we going to get a fast drive with a mediocore controller or are we going
to get the complete package. Intel just wants to be one of the front runners so my money
is on them putting out a drive with an average speed controller for priceing purposes. Keep
in mind SSD slow down over time as they become full of data, there is no defraging a SSD, so it
is extremely important that the controller is premium to make up for it as the drive ages.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Hope it's more optimized. Cause I don't want the drive slowing down when my CPU drops the clock speed when idling.
After that's fixed, then I'll decide if I wanna get it or not :D

[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]Hope it's more optimized. Cause I don't want the drive slowing down when my CPU drops the clock speed when idling.After that's fixed, then I'll decide if I wanna get it or not[/citation]

reguardless its still quicker then anything, and thats more a sotware issues not hardware if i remember correctly

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Is it 32nm or is it 34nm? Your article seems to list both. I don't like to nitpick about bad spelling like other Tom's readers, but when it comes to numbers I think its important to do some proff-reading.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
what this will help to do that no one has mentioned, is bring down the price of the 32nm CPU chips as well. Since Intel now has 2 lines of products for recovering the R&D cost on the 32nm design. It pisses me off always hearing "smaller transistors mean lower price" because the reality is that they still always have a premium price as the newer products anyways. This is mostly because they can, but also to recover the R&D costs they put into the new fab process.

That said...I am also one of the people who would be siked to see Intel get another top model out to market (with possibly some price that the rest of the world can afford)

G

It's a good way to test drive their 32nm process, without sacrificing a bad name from when they decide to manufacture the higher speed processors on the 32nm die.

Intel probably can live with making 'less good' or buggy SSD's (should it ever happen) as they are mainly known as a CPU manufacturer.

I'm not expecting the 32nm process to have bugs, but you never know...

It's probably also cheaper for when they finally decide to switch CPU's to 32nm; in other words, the 32nm Corei7 will most likely not be priced $999.

G

It's 34nm, and it's a different process than the CPU/chipset processes (not just the size, the manufacturing process flow is different too). It is also done in separate fabs as the IM flash venture is effectively split off - thus fabs producing these chips is different then the ones doing Intel's CPU and chipset production.

So this has nothing to do with 'test driving' the 32nm process, sharing resources etc... in fact the fab engineering is kept separate between the IM venture and the rest of Intel.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I am happy to hear this.

Nice to see SSDs may completely replace HDDs in laptops atleast sooner than expected.

Though I still want a 5TB single 3.5" HDD for cheap mass storage.

=D

Status
Not open for further replies.