Folder context menu got rearranged - HELP!

Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder shortcut)
has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of "Open".
So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
appears. How can I fix this?
9 answers Last reply
More about folder context menu rearranged help

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
    > shortcut)
    > has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of "Open".
    > So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
    > appears. How can I fix this?

    Thank you Ramesh. The cause you mentioned is not what happened, but it did
    clue me into what DID happen, plus your suggested fix worked. I realize now
    that this problem started when I tried to install a custom icon for File
    Folders. Knowing that the standard icons are located in shell32.dll is what
    tipped me off.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...

    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    > via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    > feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Resolution:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > (Tip from David Candy)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    > "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

    >> Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
    >> shortcut)
    >> has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
    >> "Open".
    >> So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
    >> appears. How can I fix this?

    Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
    lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
    the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a drive,
    the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open, not to
    Search.

    Craig

    You're welcome Craig.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...
    >
    >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
    >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> Resolution:
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> (Tip from David Candy)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    >> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    >
    >>> Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
    >>> shortcut)
    >>> has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
    >>> "Open".
    >>> So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
    >>> appears. How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
    > lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
    > the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
    > drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open,
    > not to Search.
    >
    > Craig

    You're welcome KGF.

    --

    > Thank you Ramesh. The cause you mentioned is not what happened, but it
    > did
    > clue me into what DID happen, plus your suggested fix worked. I realize
    > now
    > that this problem started when I tried to install a custom icon for File
    > Folders. Knowing that the standard icons are located in shell32.dll is
    > what
    > tipped me off.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> via
    >> File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    >> feature for folders. (example)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> Resolution:
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> (Tip from David Candy)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> To fix this manually via registry:
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for folders:
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
    >> > shortcut)
    >> > has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
    >> > "Open".
    >> > So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
    >> > appears. How can I fix this?

    So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it, read
    it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
    this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You're welcome Craig.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...
    > >
    > >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    > >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
    > >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)

    > >> Resolution:
    > >>
    > >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > >> (Tip from David Candy)
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    > >
    > >> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

    > > Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
    > > lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
    > > the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
    > > drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open,
    > > not to Search.
    > >
    > > Craig

    Please post your problem first. If you're facing the same problem, look at
    the two KB articles.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Win" <Win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it,
    > read
    > it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
    > this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> You're welcome Craig.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...

    >> > Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me
    >> > lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order
    >> > of
    >> > the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
    >> > drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to
    >> > Open,
    >> > not to Search.
    >> >
    >> > Craig

    OK, I guess it wasn't obvious to me how changing the registry in that manner
    would fix the problem but it did...so thanks.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Please post your problem first. If you're facing the same problem, look at
    > the two KB articles.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Win" <Win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it,
    > > read
    > > it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
    > > this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You're welcome Craig.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    Thanks for the feedback. BTW, registering the shell32.dll as per my original
    post earlier, fixes this automatically.

    --

    > OK, I guess it wasn't obvious to me how changing the registry in that
    > manner
    > would fix the problem but it did...so thanks.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Please post your problem first. If you're facing the same problem, look
    >> at
    >> the two KB articles.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Win" <Win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address
    >> > it,
    >> > read
    >> > it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly
    >> > does
    >> > this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he
    >> > described.

Support Microsoft Windows XP