Folder context menu got rearranged - HELP!

May 17, 2005 10:13:06 AM

Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder shortcut)
has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of "Open".
So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
appears. How can I fix this?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:04 PM

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
> shortcut)
> has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of "Open".
> So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
> appears. How can I fix this?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:05 PM

Thank you Ramesh. The cause you mentioned is not what happened, but it did
clue me into what DID happen, plus your suggested fix worked. I realize now
that this problem started when I tried to install a custom icon for File
Folders. Knowing that the standard icons are located in shell32.dll is what
tipped me off.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
> File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
> feature for folders. (example)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> Resolution:
>
> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> (Tip from David Candy)
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> -or-
>
> To fix this manually via registry:
>
> If this problem is seen for Drives:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>
> If this problem is seen for folders:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
> > shortcut)
> > has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of "Open".
> > So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
> > appears. How can I fix this?

Related resources
May 17, 2005 10:46:05 PM

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...

> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
> feature for folders. (example)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> Resolution:
>
> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> (Tip from David Candy)
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

>> Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
>> shortcut)
>> has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
>> "Open".
>> So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
>> appears. How can I fix this?

Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a drive,
the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open, not to
Search.

Craig
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:12:18 PM

You're welcome Craig.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:p qmie.222432$cg1.152907@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...
>
>> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
>> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
>> Directory" feature for folders. (example)
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>>
>> Resolution:
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
>> (Tip from David Candy)
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
>> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>
>>> Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
>>> shortcut)
>>> has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
>>> "Open".
>>> So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
>>> appears. How can I fix this?
>
> Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
> lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
> the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
> drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open,
> not to Search.
>
> Craig

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:12:45 PM

You're welcome KGF.

--

> Thank you Ramesh. The cause you mentioned is not what happened, but it
> did
> clue me into what DID happen, plus your suggested fix worked. I realize
> now
> that this problem started when I tried to install a custom icon for File
> Folders. Knowing that the standard icons are located in shell32.dll is
> what
> tipped me off.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
>> via
>> File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
>> feature for folders. (example)
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>>
>> Resolution:
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
>> (Tip from David Candy)
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>>
>> -or-
>>
>> To fix this manually via registry:
>>
>> If this problem is seen for Drives:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
>> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>>
>> If this problem is seen for folders:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
>> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Somehow the folder context menu (right-click on a folder or folder
>> > shortcut)
>> > has become rearranged and "Search" has moevd to the top instead of
>> > "Open".
>> > So, when I double-click a folder instead of opening the Search window
>> > appears. How can I fix this?

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:23:01 PM

So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it, read
it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome Craig.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:p qmie.222432$cg1.152907@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...
> >
> >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
> >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
> >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)

> >> Resolution:
> >>
> >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> >> (Tip from David Candy)
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> >
> >> "KGF" <KGF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> > Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me a
> > lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order of
> > the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
> > drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to Open,
> > not to Search.
> >
> > Craig

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:16:02 PM

Please post your problem first. If you're facing the same problem, look at
the two KB articles.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Win" <Win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it,
> read
> it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
> this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome Craig.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:p qmie.222432$cg1.152907@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> >
>> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote...

>> > Thank you, Ramesh. I had the same problem on one PC and it bothered me
>> > lot. Now it's fixed. The real problem for me was not so much the order
>> > of
>> > the right-click menu options but the fact that when double-clicking a
>> > drive, the top right-menu choice was run--and I wanted my drives to
>> > Open,
>> > not to Search.
>> >
>> > Craig

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:16:03 PM

OK, I guess it wasn't obvious to me how changing the registry in that manner
would fix the problem but it did...so thanks.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Please post your problem first. If you're facing the same problem, look at
> the two KB articles.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Win" <Win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So what is the real fix to his problem since both refs don't address it,
> > read
> > it carefully? If "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" does fix it what exactly does
> > this cmd do to the registry that somehow solves the problem he described.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> You're welcome Craig.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Craig" <wpyr@REMOVEMEworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >> news:p qmie.222432$cg1.152907@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:42:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. BTW, registering the shell32.dll as per my original
post earlier, fixes this automatically.

--

!