Sign in with
Your question

The real difference between Radeon 9800pro & XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2004 7:48:44 PM

Ok, I have been doing a bit of reading concerning flashing the bios of my PowerColor 9800pro (128) up to XT level.

My question is, what is the real difference between the 2 cards? Alot I have read, shows that between those 2 cards, the only difference is the bios. If that is true and I haven't misinterpreted what I have read, then why do alot of other posts say to test the 9800pro card to see if it can handle running at XT speeds (stable with no artifacts), before you flash the bios, if the cards are made of the same components?

If I am just completely off on this, I would like to know, cause I really don't know too much on the component level.

Also, I am interested in knowing the best way to remove ram sinks, installed by the factory, on my PowerColor 9800pro.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks; Jerry Lazo

"Be excellent to each other" Rufus
- Bill & Ted's -
September 29, 2004 7:55:28 PM

Dude, im not the most experienced here, but i dont think powercolour are a good brand to OC on. No offense intended at all when i say i wouldnt buy their cards, but i just thought i ought to let you know. In answer to your question, and until somebody smarter comes with a smarter reply :smile: , the card CAN run on the same components and yet run slower in one mode and faster in another. Its just like your cpu - which if you have OC'd, you will know that you can change the multiplier and freq, yet its still the same cpu. The same with the card. THe card bios holds the "instructions" (at least the settings) that the card uses to run. If those settings are at lower clock speeds, the chip will run at those speeds regardless of whether it is the same chip as the xt or not. I would assume that they do the same with grphx chips as cpus in the factory - they take the chip, test it, and if it is stable at xt speeds, they brand it an xt, and if it is only stable at pro speeds, they brand it a pro :) 

Hope that helped a little, and good luck with OCing your card.
September 29, 2004 8:02:00 PM

It's not exactly the same components. 9800pro is thr r350 core and the 9800xt is the r360 (althought some 9800pros are r360 but underclocked).The r360 core is able to get a higher clock speed than the r350. Also, 9800xts usually use better ram, which allows for higher ram speeds.
This isn't always the case, but you get the point that they aren't exactly the same components.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.
Related resources
September 29, 2004 8:10:13 PM

The R360 also had a thermal diode.

Seems lately a few guys on this forum who did this mod are having their cards crap up on them. I wouldnt mess with it personally.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
September 29, 2004 8:14:43 PM

The Pro and XT are the same GPU and components, but...

Every chip that comes off a wafer is different (even side by side chips on the same wafer). Some will run faster than others. ATI screens the chips and the ones that will run XT speeds best become XT. The others become Pro. (and those that can't do pro are either downgraded to non-pro or made into jewelry depending on how bad they are)

They may let some XT-class chips become Pros if demand for XT is less than supply (i.e., they have more XT chips than they can sell - so they sell them as pro chips).

Then ATI, Sapphire, etc., put the chip on a circuit board - and the circuit board may be different between the Pro and XT version but I don't know - and slap on some memory. XT will require faster memory and pro doesn't, but quality mfgs still put good memory on the board (and memory goes through the same process as I mentioned above about screening for speed).

So, you have a pro. It may or may not be able to run at XT speeds, and the memory may or may not be able to run at XT speeds. If it does, you're in and have an XT. If it doesn't, you have a Pro.

Also, and I don't know this for a fact, but this is what is said on this board (so I think it can be counted on lol), the memory timings on an XT are tighter (lower) than the Pro, presumably because better memory is used so it has lower latency. So, even if your pro can run at XT speed, because of the memory timing differences it may not be good enough for a full XT.

Now, assuming that you have the faster capability memory and faster capability gpu chip, and the circuit boards are the same (they probably are but I don't know for certain), the only difference between an XT and a Pro is the code in the bios, which you can flash to upgrade your Pro to an XT.

Mike.
September 29, 2004 8:23:17 PM

No, they are *not* the same components.

<A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=88..." target="_new"> R360 <> R350 </A>

<font color=red>If he has an R350</font color=red> then he may be able to clock it the same as an XT, but a BIOS flash will not give him the same exact card. If he began with an R360 however, his overclock probably will not work.

P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
September 29, 2004 8:36:10 PM

So sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.

However, the other 99.9% of what I said applies in either case.

>>>If he began with an R360 however, his overclock probably will not work.<<<

Umm, got me a little confused here. If it's a 360, it would be a better chance of it - unless you're assuming that only failed 360s became Pros.

Mike.
September 30, 2004 12:42:31 PM

Hmmmm, thank you all for your assistance with this post. I will go home this evening and try to determine what core I have. Will ATI Tool, work for that? I have yet to have the time to try that application. Please someone let me know if I need another application for figuring the core info out.

Thanks...
truckless; DonnieDarko; cefoskey; & fishmahn

Thanks; Jerry Lazo

"Be excellent to each other" Rufus
- Bill & Ted's -
September 30, 2004 6:41:13 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

If he has an R360 which was marketed as a Pro, then the odds are the card cannot achieve R360 speeds and was sold because it was stable at Pro speeds.

!