Home vs. Business

I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.

So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
virus a Business buy?

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.
22 answers Last reply
More about home business

    >William wrote
    >Keeping track of Dell's prices, sales, and discounts is a nightmare
    Very easy way to keep track of Dells (and other companies) prices
    are sites like:
    www.dealcatcher.com
    www.techbargains.com

    I use them all the time. Very up to date.
    Dave

    Danny Kile <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote:
    >So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine

    Are you sure the warranty details are the same for both machines?
    It's either something hidden like that or the Home side was having a
    sale that the Business side wasn't. Keeping track of Dell's prices,
    sales, and discounts is a nightmare.

    Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
    they have stores. That is probably the difference. I would still buy on
    the business side due to the claimed better support for business
    (personally I have never had a problem with service as a home user).
    Look at the support options available on both. There could also be a
    difference there.

    --
    Steve Williams

    "Danny Kile" <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in message
    > I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and
    one
    > for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
    > selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the
    same.

    > So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine,
    plus
    > the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
    > sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
    > initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
    > then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
    > virus a Business buy?
    >

    > --
    > Danny Kile
    > Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+
    >
    > Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
    > Your cooperation is appreciated.

    the are separate divisions with separate promotions so often one is cheaper
    than the other. small business collects sales tax from all states,
    home/home office does not collect sales tax from most states (but do for
    several states). technical support with small business purchases is rumored
    to be stateside (aka not indian) but i have not found that to be
    consistently the case. the machines are indeed the same so buy where it is
    cheaper for you. promotions change frequently in both divisions.

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:31:24 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >Are you sure the warranty details are the same for both machines?

    right, the week that I bought, home had 90 days and small biz had 1 yr

    plus, there sometimes are coupon codes which can be used at checkout,
    but not for 'outrageous deals'

    plus, small biz didn't have a modem as default - also there might have
    been a difference on speakers being present, if a monitor was included

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:

    > Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
    > they have stores. <snip>

    If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
    purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through Small
    Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
    term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in what
    is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
    9.75% tax!

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
    anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.

    "Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
    >
    >> Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
    >> they have stores. <snip>
    >
    > If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
    > purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through
    > Small
    > Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
    > term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in
    > what
    > is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
    > 9.75% tax!
    >
    > --
    > Tom McCune
    > http://www.McCune.cc

    I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
    increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
    by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
    state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
    mention it.....

    --
    Steve

    "Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
    >
    > > Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in
    areas
    > > they have stores. <snip>
    >
    > If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home
    Dell
    > purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through
    Small
    > Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the
    Dell
    > term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in
    what
    > is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur
    that
    > 9.75% tax!
    >
    > --
    > Tom McCune
    > http://www.McCune.cc

    I never paid sales tax before for any computer ordered from Home/Home Office
    until I ordered my latest Dell. I am in Wisconsin and I do not believe that
    they have a business presence here.

    "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in news:112hs4vfompvf45
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
    > anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.

    Thanks for the confirmation. So, going the small business route would cost
    a couple hundred dollars more for a good laptop, for me. Adding that on to
    the cost of the total care doesn't seem to make much sense. Darn!

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228fe75$1_1@127.0.0.1:

    > I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
    > increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
    > by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
    > state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
    > mention it.....

    My "tax preparer" is aware of it, but I really don't know the details.

    We are going to be doing less shopping in this county.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    It's a shame all the money that goes through the 'stone can't help the
    county. Been debating about any shopping in the malls up there, may have
    to go to Albany instead.

    --
    Steve

    "hoerschy" <hoerschy@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in

    > I never paid sales tax before for any computer ordered from Home/Home
    > Office until I ordered my latest Dell. I am in Wisconsin and I do not
    > believe that they have a business presence here.

    Perhaps, one of those new mall kiosks?

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Was it tax on the entire purchase? They have always taxed the service plan
    associated with the computer for Home sales. It wasn't very much.

    Either that or, as Tom said, they recently open a store in Wisconsin.

    Tom McCune wrote:
    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
    >
    >>Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
    >>they have stores. <snip>
    >
    > If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
    > purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through Small
    > Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
    > term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in what
    > is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
    > 9.75% tax!

    Which county is that? That's almost 10%!!!

    FWIW, I just bought a refurbished Dim 8400 and Dell collected NJ sales
    tax (6%). IIRC this is considered a home sale.

    Steve W. wrote:
    > I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
    > increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
    > by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
    > state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
    > mention it.....

    All states have that question - it's generally regarded as the Stupid Tax.

    ;)

    Danny Kile wrote:
    > I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
    > for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
    > selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.
    >
    > So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
    > the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
    > sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
    > initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
    > then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
    > virus a Business buy?

    As people have pointed out, the different divisions run sales
    independent of each other which may explain the flux in price. What I
    found interesting was that on the Latitude D610 I just purchased, it was
    cheaper to buy from the Small Business with their sale around
    Presidient's Day than to use my student discount at the univeristy I
    attend on the same model (at least same specifications). Another thing
    to note is that the software compliment may be different. For example,
    the only multimedia app my Latitude came with was PowerDVD (versus say
    Dell Experience on Inspirons). This wasn't an issue for me as I run
    Linux, but may be a reason for the price difference.

    It was tax on the total purchase price. In regards to a store or kiosk in
    Wisconsin, I haven't checked Milwaukee or Madison lately which would be the
    most likely places.

    Sparky <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in news:%goWd.7$u27.4@fe08.lga:

    > Which county is that? That's almost 10%!!!
    >
    > FWIW, I just bought a refurbished Dim 8400 and Dell collected NJ sales
    > tax (6%). IIRC this is considered a home sale.

    Oneida County.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Danny Kile <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in news:n21Wd.382$c72.323
    @bignews3.bellsouth.net:

    > I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
    > for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
    > selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.
    >
    > So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
    > the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
    > sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
    > initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
    > then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
    > virus a Business buy?

    I don't recall this difference being stated in this thread (hope I haven't
    just forgotten): With the Home purchase, you often (or never) have no
    choice on whether to get the machine with the trial AV (or AV/Firewall
    suite) installed, while the small business purchase lets you reject it.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    In article <Jm1Wd.50998$t46.41638@trndny04>, muto@worldnet.att.net
    says...
    > technical support with small business purchases is rumored
    > to be stateside (aka not indian) but i have not found that to be
    > consistently the case.

    These numbers are strictly for U.S. customers...

    11% of all Dell sales are in the consumer division
    89% of all Dell sales are in the business division

    Roughly 80% of consumer support is handled overseas with the remaining
    20% located in the U.S. Consumer support facilities in the U.S. are not
    open 24/7 (the facility in Nashville is closed on Sundays).

    Roughly 85% of business support is handled in the U.S. with the
    remaining overseas. If you call Dell between the hours of 7am and 10pm
    monday through friday ET you have about a 1% chance of getting someone
    overseas. They are only routed calls when the queues in the U.S.
    facilities get too full.

    If you call outside of those hours you will likely get someone overseas.
    I don't know about Round Rock or the other facilities, but the Nashville
    facility is only open from 6am to 9pm CT monday through saturday for
    business support.

    If you have Gold or Platinum support that is 100% handled in the U.S.

    Apparently a very large support facility in India was destroyed by the
    psunami and Dell has decided to move all of the business support from
    that facility into the U.S. and there's a hiring craze going on right
    now for business tech support at Dell here in the U.S.

    In article <k%6Wd.71166$H05.22424@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, news1
    @DELETE_THISmccune.cc says...
    > "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in news:112hs4vfompvf45
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    > > Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
    > > anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.
    >
    > Thanks for the confirmation. So, going the small business route would cost
    > a couple hundred dollars more for a good laptop, for me. Adding that on to
    > the cost of the total care doesn't seem to make much sense. Darn!

    unless something happens to you laptop.

    You don't know how many people I've had to disappoint when telling them
    the problem with their laptop is not covered under their warranty,
    knowing that if they had "complete care" it would have been covered.

    I had a guy accidentally knock is laptop off a second story balcony into
    a parking lot. Total loss, but with complete care his laptop was
    replaced (he just had to scrape up what he could find and ship it back
    to Dell).

    I had a teacher last week who took her brand new laptop from the extreme
    cold into an overheated house and the LCD cracked. If she had complete
    care it would have been covered, but since she didn't have it, it wasn't
    covered. (technically acts of god are not covered but you should blame
    the incident on her for being stupid and therefore cover it)

    I also recommend that EVERY college student get complete care coverage
    even if it's a desktop. Had a student who dropped her book bag and
    broke her LCD, but complete care replaced it.

Dell Dimension Computers