Home vs. Business

I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.

So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
virus a Business buy?

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.

David

>William wrote
>Keeping track of Dell's prices, sales, and discounts is a nightmare
Very easy way to keep track of Dells (and other companies) prices
are sites like:
www.dealcatcher.com
www.techbargains.com

I use them all the time. Very up to date.
Dave

Danny Kile <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote:
>So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine

Are you sure the warranty details are the same for both machines?
It's either something hidden like that or the Home side was having a
sale that the Business side wasn't. Keeping track of Dell's prices,
sales, and discounts is a nightmare.

Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
they have stores. That is probably the difference. I would still buy on
the business side due to the claimed better support for business
(personally I have never had a problem with service as a home user).
Look at the support options available on both. There could also be a
difference there.

--
Steve Williams

"Danny Kile" <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in message
> I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and
one
> for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
> selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the
same.

> So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine,
plus
> the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
> sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
> initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
> then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
> virus a Business buy?
>

> --
> Danny Kile
> Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+
>
> Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
> Your cooperation is appreciated.

the are separate divisions with separate promotions so often one is cheaper
than the other. small business collects sales tax from all states,
home/home office does not collect sales tax from most states (but do for
several states). technical support with small business purchases is rumored
to be stateside (aka not indian) but i have not found that to be
consistently the case. the machines are indeed the same so buy where it is
cheaper for you. promotions change frequently in both divisions.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:31:24 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Are you sure the warranty details are the same for both machines?

right, the week that I bought, home had 90 days and small biz had 1 yr

plus, there sometimes are coupon codes which can be used at checkout,
but not for 'outrageous deals'

plus, small biz didn't have a modem as default - also there might have
been a difference on speakers being present, if a monitor was included

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:

> Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
> they have stores. <snip>

If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through Small
Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in what
is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
9.75% tax!

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
>
>> Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
>> they have stores. <snip>
>
> If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
> purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through
> Small
> Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
> term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in
> what
> is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
> 9.75% tax!
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc

I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
mention it.....

--
Steve

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
>
> > Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in
areas
> > they have stores. <snip>
>
> If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home
Dell
> purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through
Small
> Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the
Dell
> term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in
what
> is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur
that
> 9.75% tax!
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc

I never paid sales tax before for any computer ordered from Home/Home Office
until I ordered my latest Dell. I am in Wisconsin and I do not believe that
they have a business presence here.

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in news:112hs4vfompvf45
@corp.supernews.com:

> Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
> anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.

Thanks for the confirmation. So, going the small business route would cost
a couple hundred dollars more for a good laptop, for me. Adding that on to
the cost of the total care doesn't seem to make much sense. Darn!

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228fe75$1_1@127.0.0.1:

> I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
> increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
> by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
> state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
> mention it.....

My "tax preparer" is aware of it, but I really don't know the details.

We are going to be doing less shopping in this county.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

It's a shame all the money that goes through the 'stone can't help the
county. Been debating about any shopping in the malls up there, may have
to go to Albany instead.

--
Steve

"hoerschy" <hoerschy@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in

> I never paid sales tax before for any computer ordered from Home/Home
> Office until I ordered my latest Dell. I am in Wisconsin and I do not
> believe that they have a business presence here.

Perhaps, one of those new mall kiosks?

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

Was it tax on the entire purchase? They have always taxed the service plan
associated with the computer for Home sales. It wasn't very much.

Either that or, as Tom said, they recently open a store in Wisconsin.

"hoerschy" <hoerschy@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
>I never paid sales tax before for any computer ordered from Home/Home
>Office until I ordered my latest Dell. I am in Wisconsin and I do not
>believe that they have a business presence here.
> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
>> anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.
>>
>> "Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message

>>> If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
>>> purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through
>>> Small
>>> Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
>>> term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in
>>> what
>>> is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
>>> 9.75% tax!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom McCune
>>> http://www.McCune.cc

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Tom McCune wrote:
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in news:4228c5b4$1_2@127.0.0.1:
>
>>Dell collects tax on all business sales but only on home sales in areas
>>they have stores. <snip>
>
> If my recall is correct, I've not been paying sales tax on my Home Dell
> purchases (New York). But since I was thinking of purchasing through Small
> Business so I could have the comprehensive insurance (I forget the Dell
> term at the moment) on my next laptop, I'm glad I saw this. I live in what
> is now the highest sales tax county in NY, and do not want to incur that
> 9.75% tax!

Which county is that? That's almost 10%!!!

FWIW, I just bought a refurbished Dim 8400 and Dell collected NJ sales
tax (6%). IIRC this is considered a home sale.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Steve W. wrote:
> I'm nearby Tom. The next county east of you. I noticed your luck at the
> increased rates. The last few machines I have bought have not been taxed
> by Dell. You do realize Your supposed to pay the sales/use tax on your
> state tax forms. It is line 27 on the IT200 form. Just thought I'd
> mention it.....

All states have that question - it's generally regarded as the Stupid Tax.

;)

Danny Kile wrote:
> I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
> for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
> selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.
>
> So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
> the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
> sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
> initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
> then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
> virus a Business buy?

As people have pointed out, the different divisions run sales
independent of each other which may explain the flux in price. What I
found interesting was that on the Latitude D610 I just purchased, it was
cheaper to buy from the Small Business with their sale around
Presidient's Day than to use my student discount at the univeristy I
attend on the same model (at least same specifications). Another thing
to note is that the software compliment may be different. For example,
the only multimedia app my Latitude came with was PowerDVD (versus say
Dell Experience on Inspirons). This wasn't an issue for me as I run
Linux, but may be a reason for the price difference.

It was tax on the total purchase price. In regards to a store or kiosk in
Wisconsin, I haven't checked Milwaukee or Madison lately which would be the
most likely places.

Sparky <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in news:%goWd.7$u27.4@fe08.lga:

> Which county is that? That's almost 10%!!!
>
> FWIW, I just bought a refurbished Dim 8400 and Dell collected NJ sales
> tax (6%). IIRC this is considered a home sale.

Oneida County.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

Danny Kile <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in news:n21Wd.382$c72.323
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> I open up two web pages one for Dimension 4700 for home purchase and one
> for Dimension 4700 Small Business. I then go down the option list
> selecting the same options, same CPU, Mem, HD, OS and other all the same.
>
> So tell me why I should spend $90.00 more for the business machine, plus
> the business machine as a ship date that is one day longer. Make no
> sense to me, I thought that choosing Home or Business just defined the
> initial configuration, however if I got through and make them the same
> then should be the same. So what is the difference between a home buy,
> virus a Business buy?

I don't recall this difference being stated in this thread (hope I haven't
just forgotten): With the Home purchase, you often (or never) have no
choice on whether to get the machine with the trial AV (or AV/Firewall
suite) installed, while the small business purchase lets you reject it.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

In article <Jm1Wd.50998$t46.41638@trndny04>, muto@worldnet.att.net
says...
> technical support with small business purchases is rumored
> to be stateside (aka not indian) but i have not found that to be
> consistently the case.

These numbers are strictly for U.S. customers...

11% of all Dell sales are in the consumer division
89% of all Dell sales are in the business division

Roughly 80% of consumer support is handled overseas with the remaining
20% located in the U.S. Consumer support facilities in the U.S. are not
open 24/7 (the facility in Nashville is closed on Sundays).

Roughly 85% of business support is handled in the U.S. with the
remaining overseas. If you call Dell between the hours of 7am and 10pm
monday through friday ET you have about a 1% chance of getting someone
overseas. They are only routed calls when the queues in the U.S.
facilities get too full.

If you call outside of those hours you will likely get someone overseas.
I don't know about Round Rock or the other facilities, but the Nashville
facility is only open from 6am to 9pm CT monday through saturday for
business support.

If you have Gold or Platinum support that is 100% handled in the U.S.

Apparently a very large support facility in India was destroyed by the
psunami and Dell has decided to move all of the business support from
that facility into the U.S. and there's a hiring craze going on right
now for business tech support at Dell here in the U.S.

In article <k%6Wd.71166$H05.22424@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, news1
@DELETE_THISmccune.cc says...
> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in news:112hs4vfompvf45
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Dell collects sales tax in CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, PA, TN, and TX;
> > anywhere they have a business presence, for Home/Home Office sales.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation. So, going the small business route would cost
> a couple hundred dollars more for a good laptop, for me. Adding that on to
> the cost of the total care doesn't seem to make much sense. Darn!

unless something happens to you laptop.

You don't know how many people I've had to disappoint when telling them
the problem with their laptop is not covered under their warranty,
knowing that if they had "complete care" it would have been covered.

I had a guy accidentally knock is laptop off a second story balcony into
a parking lot. Total loss, but with complete care his laptop was
replaced (he just had to scrape up what he could find and ship it back
to Dell).

I had a teacher last week who took her brand new laptop from the extreme
cold into an overheated house and the LCD cracked. If she had complete
care it would have been covered, but since she didn't have it, it wasn't
covered. (technically acts of god are not covered but you should blame
the incident on her for being stupid and therefore cover it)

I also recommend that EVERY college student get complete care coverage
even if it's a desktop. Had a student who dropped her book bag and
broke her LCD, but complete care replaced it.