Sign in with
Your question

Should I ask for more money in the future??

Last response: in Business Computing
August 9, 2012 3:26:54 PM

I'm currently a system, network, and web admin at a small company. I volunteered to create websites and setup hosting at the company. I already have one website up, and by the end of the year I'll have 27 more.

Is there things I should be doing daily for maintenance or security checks on the websites I have running? I need a reasonable argument in the future as to why I should be paid more since originally the web stuff had nothing to do with my job. Until I volunteered for it, since it saves the company 50k a year, and makes us 50k a year in return. I'm essentially doubling my responsibilities since my original job tasks haven't changed, but now i have to make websites also.

More about : money future

August 9, 2012 3:40:54 PM

First off, I assume you have your official job description. All that does is lay out the minimum of what they expect of you. Many time these job descriptions will include a statement similar to "or any additional duties as assigned" and that is where the people over you are going to try to downplay what you are doing.

Dont let them do that. If there are positions over yours that you are looking for a promotion to, take a look at the job description for that position and see how you measure up. If there is not a defined position above yours, talk to your immediate supervisor about creating a position and see if they will let you write the new job description. Use your current job description as a base and add on top of that all the website design and administration that you are doing. Get creative with it and let them know what to expect out of this new position and tailor it to your strengths.

You have good reason to ask for more money and a promotion because website administration is not an easy task.
August 9, 2012 3:48:38 PM

Thanks. Yea 3 few months ago I knew nothing about website administration. Now that I'm doing it, its a lot of work. Its just adding on to the responsibilities I already had. Like I said though I'm saving and making the company a lot of money since we now we handle all web stuff in house single handed by me. I'm pretty much their golden boy right now.

Thanks for the advice.
Related resources
August 9, 2012 4:59:11 PM

In the future don't volunteer. Goahead and ask for more $$ they will probably say nope.
August 9, 2012 6:08:10 PM

sdweim85 said:
Thanks. Yea 3 few months ago I knew nothing about website administration. Now that I'm doing it, its a lot of work. Its just adding on to the responsibilities I already had. Like I said though I'm saving and making the company a lot of money since we now we handle all web stuff in house single handed by me. I'm pretty much their golden boy right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi :) 

Owning various companies, I can see this from your companies point of view rather than yours....

You do NOT make the company 50k a year...the companies PRODUCTS do.... yes you MAY help sell more products or services with a good website, but NO products, no profit...

If you are thinking about asking for more money, thats fine and you probably deserve it, but think about what I just said BEFORE you frame your request...lol

All the best Brett :) 
August 9, 2012 8:11:43 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Owning various companies, I can see this from your companies point of view rather than yours....

You do NOT make the company 50k a year...the companies PRODUCTS do.... yes you MAY help sell more products or services with a good website, but NO products, no profit...

If you are thinking about asking for more money, thats fine and you probably deserve it, but think about what I just said BEFORE you frame your request...lol

All the best Brett :) 

yea I would never use that as leverage.
August 10, 2012 12:03:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, are all the websites for the single company? Or do you create them for other businesses?
August 10, 2012 2:25:43 AM

I create them for other businesses. Some want the websites private so only their network can access them, and others want it public. We are hired by libraries to make digital copies of something like a series of books, then if they want we can host it on the internet for all their users in the library so they can access it whenever. Also any library can access it then also. Like a giant knowledge share.

It's kinda like the online book databases colleges use for their students to do research, but much more simple.
October 22, 2012 8:07:33 PM

Saw this still on first page of forums, just want to wrap it up by saying they did give me a 10k raise, and I'm getting another 10k in a few months :) 

So everything ended up working out.
!