3dmark05 vs Doom3 benchmarks

Rocket21

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Which is the more accurate test?

So many posts in these forums were telling me to get geforce 6800GT over x800PRO cuz of doom3 benchmarks. I thought it outperformed the x800pro only because of the openGL drivers, but I was almost convinced otherwise. I only stuck to getting an x800pro cuz I learned how to flash it to a x800XT.

Now it seems, it mighta just been the openGL drivers afterall. Older games always favoured the x800pro, and now my 3dmark05 scores smokes the 6800GT owners too; even when I flash it back to a x800pro (12pipes).

I feel sorry for the people who got suckered into getting a 6800GT. It now appears it is the slower card, not to mention it's noise, heat, and power issues.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
LoL e-penis marks dont mean jack, true the x800 is a mean GPU but if you are just playing 3dmark you can have fun with your e-penis points.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
LoL e-penis marks dont mean jack, true the x800 is a mean GPU but if you are just playing 3dmark you can have fun with your e-penis points.
ROFL
you just kicked his e-self-esteem down a few notches.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

Which is the more accurate test?
It really depends, and remember two VERY important things.

Doom3 results only apply to Doom3 (and maybe battle of the proxycon in 3Dmk03), that's why nV's latest BS PR about the FX5200 and FX5500 is so F'in laughable.

3Dmk05 is not a game so it doesn't indicate play in anything, but it does expose alot of aspects about the way the cards work, from which you can determine alot of things, potentially even how they should play in certain games. The Bungholioo marks themselves me very little/ i.e. nothing. However the broken down parts can show you where the cards will have strengths and weaknesses, which really is more/very important IMO.

The X800Pro still falls behind in a fair number of tests, but then again many of those tests were done before the new drivers and the 256mb fix, so some aspects may change, although I doubt we'll see a complete reversal by any means.

Now it seems, it mighta just been the openGL drivers afterall.
It has never been just about the drivers, D3 has always played to the nV4x's strengths (even some of the 3x/FX's). Drivers alone was never going to match this one title. But it was just one game, and it is probbly the most NV40 centric we will ever see it because the amount of time that there will be such lighting conditions in it's offspring is likely VERY limited IMO.

Also not all older games favour the X800Pro, many favour the GT too.

Your flashed card can no longer be considered and X800Pro either, and IMO the X800XTPE currently (even before the driver update) is the fastest out there in like (guesstimate) 55% of the tests, with the GF6800U right alongside, so the advanatages aren't surprising for your card. BUT, not all (not even most) of the X800PROs can be moded/flashed/xt-ified, so it's not a selling point unless you KNOW for sure (like some VIVO models).

I feel sorry for the people who got suckered into getting a 6800GT.
The GF6800GT is still a strong card and no-one is a sucker for having bought one. The only people who are suckers are those who would buy cards or make their decisions based on a single game or benchmark alone. And BTW, the GF6800GT doesn't have power issues, it's far from being an R9600XT or PRO :cool: , but it's not the same as it's big brother. And as for the noise, neither Top end solution cn be considered 'Quiet'.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I really can't wait to see 4.10(b) up against 66.70 in a rematch of all the games and benchies. Preferrably retail cards (might as well throw in the eVGA's pre-retail 6800UEE, too). I also kinda want to see X-bit's extreme OCing article for both (retail versions, of course)...seeing as I'll probably be doing almost (maybe a little less voltage but with H20/pelt cooling) that for my next system(!).

Nobody has really touched up on the X800XTpe vs. 6800U situation since the engineering samples went out....now that retail is available, let's have 'em!

Oh yeah, to the thread starter...05 is more accurate for the Demo in 05 and Doom3 is more accurate for Doom3. 05 *might* be a sign of things to come, however.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Nobody has really touched up on the X800XTpe vs. 6800U situation since the engineering samples went out....now that retail is available, let's have 'em!
Well IXBT/Digit-Life continues to look at them, like the review in the link in the EQ2 thread, but really it's still older drivers.

And I agree, I think there hasn't been much interesting in the X800XT/GF6800U reviews since they came out and got their initial driver bugs fixed. But now there's leaps involved.

Also , WHERE THE FOQUE is FartCry Patch 1.3 !?!

And yes I'm sure Xbit will have some fun with some OC'ing of the PCIe cards.

The other thing is they better hurry with their X800XTPE reviews because the R480 is 'right around the corner'. Wink :wink: Wink :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Today, The BFG 6800GT can be bought in the USA for $349 and the BBA X800 Pro for $329. Both are about as much bang for the buck as this new generation has to offer so far. I wouldn't say anyone who buys either has been suckered, I'd say lucky them. IMO the 6800GT has lost most of it's lead over the x800pro and it's more of a preference/price thing now.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
WHERE THE FOQUE is FartCry Patch 1.3 !?!
In the mail :wink: . Actually, it should be out soon, but under the sly name of FarCry Patch 1.2

Well IXBT/Digit-Life continues to look at them, like the review in the link in the EQ2 thread, but really it's still older drivers.
I can only reply with this:
But now there's leaps involved.
:smile:

The other thing is they better hurry with their X800XTPE reviews because the R480 is 'right around the corner'. Wink Wink
Idk...nV and ATi are saying no cards this year (while DT says this year...who is right?). Anyway, I think it'd be slick if ATi did release the with high quantities to the public before nV could even get their NV48 to the public. The other way around would be just as cool, too.

The name 6900Ultra (maybe they should put the Ultra before the 6900 :evil: !) is going to be hard to compete with...X900 just doesn't have the connotations needed to sell to the hordes of men.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

You're probably right aout FartCry patch 1.2 redux.

The main reason I can see ATI and nV rushing to these new cards, is that being on a smaller process they can reduce the cost per chip.

And since they are both having troubles producing the chips to meet current demand, anything you can do to improve yield is a good thing IMO.