I've been reading so much info about laptop specs/review in the past week that my head is about to explode. Decided to give up trying to make sense of conflicting viewpoints and just "ask the experts" here, so to speak.
1. What is your budget?
Is "as cheap as possible" an acceptable answer?! $500 or under, the cheaper the better.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Flexible here--14-16 range. (Not getting anything bigger in my tiny budget.)
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Want decent res but it doesn't have to blow me out of the water.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I will not be lugging it around, so although I don't want it to weigh a ton, weight isn't that important.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Longer battery is always good, but it will be stationary and can be plugged in, so battery is near the bottom of my list of priorities.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.
No games, unless you count the crap my son occasionally plays on Facebook.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
My average use consists of: having about 30 tabs open in a browser (I know, but I'm OCD that way) while also running Word/MS Office and Adobe. Sometimes I use stats software (SPSS) or Dreamweaver.
Some basic photo editing, but nothing major. (And I'm usually doing this on online services, so it's probably a moot point).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'd say min. 400 GB
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I am completely open. Tend to buy everything online and am willing to shop with any reputable vendor. There is a MicroCenter nearby, and some friends have suggested I go there. (http:www.microcenter.com)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
My current one is about 4 years (that was a custom XoticPC Sager-built-on-Clevo beauty, but I don't need all of that anymore), so I guess the answer is as long as it will hold up, at least 2 years. Yeah, 2 years is a good average.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is sufficient.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Again, open here. Keep reading a lot about Asus, Acer, Toshiba, but really am not tied to brand.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am open to buying open-box and refurbed machines if from a reputable dealer.
I HATE slow-to-boot computer. Really. Hate them.
Prefer a keyboard withOUT the dedicated numberpad on the right side (so the touchpad is in the center, not to the left). Why are these so hard to find? It's not a dealbreaker, though. EDIT: Skip the , the numberpad / touchpad thing isn't an issue!
Thanks for reading, and for any advice you can throw at me.