Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Inspiron 1720 wont boot.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 16, 2012 9:58:42 PM

Hello,
i have a dell inspiron 1720 and it wont boot, when its pluged in or has the battery it doesnt do anything but the power light blinks slowly like its asleep or hibernating. i had the battery out for a whole night and its still not turning on this morning. i reseated the RAM also tried each one in the Dimm A slot still nothing. if anyone knows what might fix it or any information would be appreciated ive had it for about 3 years gamed on it for about half of that and have used it for at least 3 hours everyday.
August 17, 2012 7:36:12 PM

also when i hold fn key for about 10 sec the powerlight goes out and the num lock and scroll lock lights turn on and the caps lock light blinks

Best solution

August 17, 2012 7:39:28 PM

sounds like a bad motherboard.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 9:12:45 PM

daswilhelm said:
sounds like a bad motherboard.

thats what i was thinking...and afraid of..
August 17, 2012 9:43:57 PM

did something happen? dropped, spilled on, incorrect shutdowns?
August 17, 2012 11:31:04 PM

daswilhelm said:
did something happen? dropped, spilled on, incorrect shutdowns?

never dropped it, spilled something on it the day i got it and dell replaced about everything, also spilled a little coke on the keyboard almost 2 years ago its always worked. i did use hibernate like everynight when i shut it down not sure if that effects it.
i only use it for movies or dvds so its not that big of a loss id rather buy a new one instead of buying a new laptop. only thing is the data i have alot of stuff saved on it is there some sort of connector i could buy to connect a sata connector to the hard drives?

also, i took the DVD out of the drive using a paperclip to release it then it started to boot when i tried turning it on and it started loading the dell diagnostics since i used fn power but it didnt get past the dell screen and shut off and hasnt turned back on since.
August 25, 2012 8:06:03 PM

Best answer selected by BobDole101.
!