Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Inspiron 1720 wont boot.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 16, 2012 9:58:42 PM

Hello,
i have a dell inspiron 1720 and it wont boot, when its pluged in or has the battery it doesnt do anything but the power light blinks slowly like its asleep or hibernating. i had the battery out for a whole night and its still not turning on this morning. i reseated the RAM also tried each one in the Dimm A slot still nothing. if anyone knows what might fix it or any information would be appreciated ive had it for about 3 years gamed on it for about half of that and have used it for at least 3 hours everyday.
August 17, 2012 7:36:12 PM

also when i hold fn key for about 10 sec the powerlight goes out and the num lock and scroll lock lights turn on and the caps lock light blinks
m
l

Best solution

August 17, 2012 7:39:28 PM

sounds like a bad motherboard.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 9:12:45 PM

daswilhelm said:
sounds like a bad motherboard.

thats what i was thinking...and afraid of..
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:43:57 PM

did something happen? dropped, spilled on, incorrect shutdowns?
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:31:04 PM

daswilhelm said:
did something happen? dropped, spilled on, incorrect shutdowns?

never dropped it, spilled something on it the day i got it and dell replaced about everything, also spilled a little coke on the keyboard almost 2 years ago its always worked. i did use hibernate like everynight when i shut it down not sure if that effects it.
i only use it for movies or dvds so its not that big of a loss id rather buy a new one instead of buying a new laptop. only thing is the data i have alot of stuff saved on it is there some sort of connector i could buy to connect a sata connector to the hard drives?

also, i took the DVD out of the drive using a paperclip to release it then it started to boot when i tried turning it on and it started loading the dell diagnostics since i used fn power but it didnt get past the dell screen and shut off and hasnt turned back on since.
m
l
August 25, 2012 8:06:03 PM

Best answer selected by BobDole101.
m
l
!