WRT54g, two XP wireless, a connection, and....

Hi,

Now what? I have a laptop with a 54g connection, and a desktop with a
54g wireless PCI card. Both can connect to the net through the
WRT54g. Both running XP, one pro and one home.

How do I make these things see each other? I run the "Setup a home
network" wizard, and use other->direct attachment to internet or
through a router. I give the things different names, and same
workgroup. XP does it's thing, but I don't see anything magically pop
up anywhere. And when I try to view workgroup computers (under
network tasks), it says that I cannot access workgroup "BLAH" and that
I don't have permission. "You might not have permission to access
this resource".

Well what the heck? I can't find step by step anywhere. Am I on the
right track here?

Thanks for any assistance.

oj

orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in message news:<77d3a68b.0404051446.2116236c@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Now what? I have a laptop with a 54g connection, and a desktop with a
> 54g wireless PCI card. Both can connect to the net through the
> WRT54g. Both running XP, one pro and one home.
>
> How do I make these things see each other? I run the "Setup a home
> network" wizard, and use other->direct attachment to internet or
> through a router. I give the things different names, and same
> workgroup. XP does it's thing, but I don't see anything magically pop
> up anywhere. And when I try to view workgroup computers (under
> network tasks), it says that I cannot access workgroup "BLAH" and that
> I don't have permission. "You might not have permission to access
> this resource".
>
> Well what the heck? I can't find step by step anywhere. Am I on the
> right track here?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> oj

Hi again,

Appears the problem was the ZoneAlarm running on both sides. How the
freak are you supposed to know every little thing that needs to be
done here?

I configured it to allow an IP range from xxx.xxx.1.000 to
xxx.xxx.2.000 . Will that keep the baddies out? I've already turned
off the XP firewall. I don't know how to determine the DHCP range of
my WRT54g to make the range tighter. At least I can see both puters
now. Still a newbie at this. Thanks.

oj

>I configured it to allow an IP range from xxx.xxx.1.000 to
>xxx.xxx.2.000 . Will that keep the baddies out? I've already turned
>off the XP firewall. I don't know how to determine the DHCP range of
>my WRT54g to make the range tighter. At least I can see both puters
>now. Still a newbie at this. Thanks.

I believe the WRT54G (like most/all? Linksys routers) assign from
192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254 by default. Allowing 192.168.1.0 to
192.168.1.255 should keep outsiders out and the insiders in.

You should uninstall Zonealarm anyway. Why use a software firewall
when the hardware WRT54G router does the same stuff except better?
It's redundant to have both, waste of resources.

--
Tashfeen Bhimdi