DeltaChrome to Appear on VIA AMD64 Mobos

Sure you all want Dual PCie, but how about a thrid graphics chip!?! According to the InQ VIA will add DX9 capable DeltaChrome IGP on their new K8M890 AMD64 Mobos soon to come out;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18829" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18829</A>

Not sure if it's going to be disabled once the others are active or not, but it'll be interesting to see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
there you go, someone here wanted a three monitor setup ! I bet that can get like 7 monitors - considering no SLI kinda stuff and each add in card had 3 outs.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

Well some add-ins don't like it when you run both DVI/VGA out with the TV-out because sometimes they share resources like the RAMDACs.

But if using a PCIe Parhelia, then definitely.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Putting Delta Chrome on the chipset is like putting birdshit on cowshit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Not sure if it's going to be disabled once the others are active or not, but it'll be interesting to see.

How would it really work at the same time?

It's always been disabled with a new add-in card detected, right?

I'm saying this since you either use SLI for nVidia cards (specific ones too) only, and ALX isn't out yet publically nor licensed.

--
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revised, faster updated than ever before.</A></b></font color=red>

ROTFLMAO!

Great line! :cool:

Dang man thought we could slip this one by you. :wink:

Hey I'm still looking at the RS480, but it's nice to know there's something to push it along even if it is a wheelbarrow full of $hit! :lol:

Well if the PCIe are independant of SLI, etc. (which they probably are, but don't know if drivers may have dificulties controlling the two cards at first) then you could add in 2 video cards (for 2-4 seperate monitors/no SLI wanted or needed), and then if the DeltaChrome acts somewhat similar to the 9100IGP (which already runs with and AGP card in the slot), and RS4xx series are supposed to act then you could keep the additional onboard as well.
We'll just have to see.
I've always been looking forward to multiple cards for a 3 monitor array setup that's cheap(compared to Parhelia) and busts out some nice FPS when needed (compared to the Parhelia). So I really am interested in these guys playing with these new boards.

I'd still prefer a P650 for picture/video editing, but if I'm going to consolidate one system this time around (dual procs are no longer attractive with their limitations) then I wouldn't mind an R520 flanked by an X700XT or an NV5x flanked by a GF6800GT (I think mixing card may be a pain, at least at first).

However nothing is guaranteed in any of this, this is all just guessing and hoping right now.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
lmao !!!!!

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's my 2 cents:

Video on the northbridge shouldn't affect the PCIe hub. They just ought to be able to do several video chips on a northbridge and still have full PCIe access.

Early in PCIe development I heard it would support a maximum of 32-lanes. But all the chipsets I'm seeing are only doing 24 or fewer. 32 would probably be needed for top end workstation boards.

I want to see x4 get more development. After all, 32-lanes could support 1 x16 and 4 x4 slots. And x4 is nearly as fast as AGP4x, or if you do your math like AMD, nearly twice as fast, since it's full duplux.

Forget x8, it would be worthless for just about everything EXCEPT a second video card. x4 offers 1GB/s, enough for 8 gigabit LAN connections or a 3 channel Ultra 320 RAID card with all channels at full potential.

Give me a light workstation board with an x16, 4 x1's, and 2 x4's. And use the other pathways for onboard devices.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
But what you're telling me is the extra on board video will be for monitor support, not actual gaming, right?

I mean, otherwise we wouldn't be so amazed by SLI or ALX, the idea would have been mainstream since a while ya know? (albeit on much cheaper hardware)

--
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revised, faster updated than ever before.</A></b></font color=red>

It'd be for gaming, but for a surround monitor gaming. However even just for 2D I'd like it.

I mean, otherwise we wouldn't be so amazed by SLI or ALX
Well some of us weren't 'amazed' by it. And really we are talking about different things, you/sli/alx are on about 2 cards 1 monitor, this is about 1 (or 2) card(s) + IGP (or just the 2 cards) = 3 monitors.

It's not about insane FPS it's about more immersive gaming, like the parhelia, only faster.

eden

Champion
It's not about insane FPS it's about more immersive gaming, like the parhelia, only faster.
Heheh, fancy seeing a geForce 6800 system with a DeltaChrome on the side, haha! :smile:

One side has to catch up to the other hehe.

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>

Yeah that would be about it.

But if the DC and the small part of the GF were running the surround monitors they wouldn't need HIGH res or supper fast FPS, just give the illusion of surround. Of course it would be better to have higher FPS and such but really I'd settle for a solid 60-90FPS @ 1280x1024+ on the center screen and 15fps @ 1024x768 on the surround screens if at least it was a start into better solutions.