The 8 megabytes reserved by Windows XP

alex

Whenever Windows XP is installed, it reserves 8 megabytes of hard drive space.
I recently, by mistake formated all the available space on the hard drive,
including those 8 megabytes.
I really need to know what are those 8 megabytes used for;
How will the fact that i formated them effect my computer;
And, if i need to fix it, what is the best and safest way of doing it,
besides reformating the drive and installing Windows XP again.

Thank You!

The 8 meg are there in case you convert your basic disks to dynamic disks.
If the partition was created by Win 2k or XP it will automatically reserve
the space.
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309044

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

In article <eyX58v7WFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
Danny Sanders <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote:
>The 8 meg are there in case you convert your basic disks to dynamic disks.
>If the partition was created by Win 2k or XP it will automatically reserve
>the space.
>See:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309044
>

>hth
>DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>

>"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Whenever Windows XP is installed, it reserves 8 megabytes of hard drive
>> space.
>> I recently, by mistake formated all the available space on the hard drive,
>> including those 8 megabytes.
>> I really need to know what are those 8 megabytes used for;
>> How will the fact that i formated them effect my computer;
>> And, if i need to fix it, what is the best and safest way of doing it,
>> besides reformating the drive and installing Windows XP again.
>>
>> Thank You!

Can someone point this old dog to a document describing dynamic disks
and how to use them ?

Thanks

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> In article <eyX58v7WFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> Danny Sanders <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote:
>>The 8 meg are there in case you convert your basic disks to dynamic disks.
>>If the partition was created by Win 2k or XP it will automatically reserve
>>the space.
>>See:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309044
>>

>>hth
>>DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>>

>>"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Whenever Windows XP is installed, it reserves 8 megabytes of hard drive
>>> space.
>>> I recently, by mistake formated all the available space on the hard
>>> drive,
>>> including those 8 megabytes.
>>> I really need to know what are those 8 megabytes used for;
>>> How will the fact that i formated them effect my computer;
>>> And, if i need to fix it, what is the best and safest way of doing it,
>>> besides reformating the drive and installing Windows XP again.
>>>
>>> Thank You!
>>

> Can someone point this old dog to a document describing dynamic disks
> and how to use them ?

http://www.petri.co.il/difference_between_basic_and_dynamic_disks_in_windows_xp_2000_2003.htm

Second link on a google search. It would have been quicker to search google
than it was to type your question. Even just clicking on the link in the
post you replied to would have provided several more links to the info you
requested.

Kerry

See the references section here: