Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I run both Ad-Aware & Spybot Search & restore & even though they are kept up
to date they still frequently tell me that I have nasties on my machine.
Are these programs intended to prevent you getting this 'Spyware' before
it's down loaded or are these programs only intended to remove it after your
PC is infected, or have I just neglected to set options correctly?

Thanks in advance

Layered Protection can prevent maximum malware from entering.

Block AD/Spyware sites using HOSTS file [very effective method]
HOSTS file guide: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:

SpywareBlaster:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Confused" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>I run both Ad-Aware & Spybot Search & restore & even though they are kept
>up to date they still frequently tell me that I have nasties on my machine.
>Are these programs intended to prevent you getting this 'Spyware' before
>it's down loaded or are these programs only intended to remove it after
>your PC is infected, or have I just neglected to set options correctly?
>

> Thanks in advance

They mainly remove it once you're infected. Spybot has an Inoculate
feature which helps prevent some from installing, but not all.