Cannot logon to XP

My son was trying to help a friend last night to get rid of loads of nasties
on her PC. Following some instructions on one of the Spyware forums -
Malwarebytes.

He now can't log on to Windows. It gets to the Welcome screen and shows the
users. No matter which one he tries it will log on, begin to load the
desktop and then log off immediately. This happens in safe mode too.

I'd try System Restore but I can't get far enough to try. I'd rather not
reformat just yet.

How do I get back onto Win XP?

Janice
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot logon

    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
    Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a spyware removal utility?
    Logon - Logoff loop, also caused by BlazeFind

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

    Janice wrote:
    > My son was trying to help a friend last night to get rid of loads of
    > nasties on her PC. Following some instructions on one of the Spyware
    > forums - Malwarebytes.
    >
    > He now can't log on to Windows. It gets to the Welcome screen and
    > shows the users. No matter which one he tries it will log on, begin
    > to load the desktop and then log off immediately. This happens in
    > safe mode too.
    >
    > I'd try System Restore but I can't get far enough to try. I'd rather
    > not reformat just yet.
    >
    > How do I get back onto Win XP?
    >
    > Janice

    Thanks,,
    I tried this but it did not work. Ended up having to do a repair
    installation.

    "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    > Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
    > Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a spyware
    removal utility?
    > Logon - Logoff loop, also caused by BlazeFind
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    > How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    >
    > Janice wrote:
    > > My son was trying to help a friend last night to get rid of loads of
    > > nasties on her PC. Following some instructions on one of the Spyware
    > > forums - Malwarebytes.
    > >
    > > He now can't log on to Windows. It gets to the Welcome screen and
    > > shows the users. No matter which one he tries it will log on, begin
    > > to load the desktop and then log off immediately. This happens in
    > > safe mode too.
    > >
    > > I'd try System Restore but I can't get far enough to try. I'd rather
    > > not reformat just yet.
    > >
    > > How do I get back onto Win XP?
    > >
    > > Janice

Windows XP