My computer is getting very slow booting up, could this be a registry
problem as the computer is nearly three years old and the registry has never
been edited. I downloaded a free registry cleanup programme but before
using this I understand I should make a registry backup. I tried reading up
about doing this but find it rather daunting just to get this far, as I am
not very technical, should I leave well alone.

TIA

B.W.

might help .. but do read how to use its restore method first.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:14:11 +1000, "B.W." <bwaller@norex.com.auxx
(drop the xx)> wrote:

>My computer is getting very slow booting up, could this be a registry
>problem as the computer is nearly three years old and the registry has never
>been edited. I downloaded a free registry cleanup programme but before
>using this I understand I should make a registry backup. I tried reading up
>about doing this but find it rather daunting just to get this far, as I am
>not very technical, should I leave well alone.
>
>TIA
>
>B.W.

Firstly do not use a 'Registry Cleaner' that does not automatically
backup the changes that are made so in the event of problems you can
Secondly download ERUNT (search Google) and use this to backup the
Registry before you do anything
Thirdly, it is very doubtful that running a Registry Cleaning program
will 'speed' up your machine.
Fourthly, defragging the system should be a priority and is more
likely to 'speed' up the machine. Use the WINXP native defrag utility
if you do not have a third party 'defragger'.
Fifthly, download and run CCleaner (search Google). This will remove
much of the junk that accumulates on your drive and may well result in
an increase in machine speed.

All the above applies based upon an assumption that you have an up to
date AVP program running and an anti spyware program. If you don't
initially download and run AVP (free version available, search Google)
and Ad Aware (also free version available, search Google).