Roaming in the U.S.A.

Last response: in Network Providers
August 12, 2004 2:36:13 AM

The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
in the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
long distance charges? How does one dial the number?

More about : roaming

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 12:29:59 PM

No.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin wrote:

> The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming in
> the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring long
> distance charges? How does one dial the number?
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 6:08:11 PM

If you plan to call a lot, consider buying local provider's prepaid
service. Just make sure both phones are unlocked....

Mokro

Ototin wrote:

> The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
> in the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
> long distance charges? How does one dial the number?
August 13, 2004 12:07:12 AM

Rogers actually had something like this for Canada awhile ago (about 10
years ago). You used to be able to dial a local number and then dial the
visiting person's cellphone number.

The way it worked was that if my cellphone number had a Montreal area code
but I was visting Toronto, the people in Toronto could call a special local
number and then they would dial my Montreal cellphone number. They would
then not have to pay long distance to speak with me.

I'm not sure if Rogers still has something like this because I can no longer
find any information about it.

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.12.12.29.56.138703@yahoo.com...
> No.
>
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin wrote:
>
> > The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming in
> > the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring long
> > distance charges? How does one dial the number?

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 4:14:27 AM

Bell still has this feature, you dial 511 hit send and wait for confirmation
tone to dial 10 digit cell number. Roger's might use the same codes.

G M

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
message news:9TTSc.10839$s81.454105@wagner.videotron.net...
> Rogers actually had something like this for Canada awhile ago (about 10
> years ago). You used to be able to dial a local number and then dial the
> visiting person's cellphone number.
>
> The way it worked was that if my cellphone number had a Montreal area code
> but I was visting Toronto, the people in Toronto could call a special
local
> number and then they would dial my Montreal cellphone number. They would
> then not have to pay long distance to speak with me.
>
> I'm not sure if Rogers still has something like this because I can no
longer
> find any information about it.
>

> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.08.12.12.29.56.138703@yahoo.com...
> > No.
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin wrote:
> >
> > > The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
in
> > > the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
long
> > > distance charges? How does one dial the number?

August 13, 2004 11:50:11 AM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:

>The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
>in the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
>long distance charges? How does one dial the number?

If they are not in 416 they will incur long distance and roaming
charges. You dial their number the same way you normally would.
Their number has not changed. If your area allows 7 digits you can
dial that. If your area requires 10 digits dial that. I believe 1+10
digits works also. +1(area code) 7 digits will always work as well.
You will be charged or not charged depending on whether the number you
are calling is long distance. If the number you're calling is local
it will remain local for *you* but if the other person is either
roaming or has moved into a non-local area they will pay the long
distance and/or roaming charge.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:44:23 PM

Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone long-distance
fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with Fido,
sorry about the sidebar.

CU

"G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Bell still has this feature, you dial 511 hit send and wait for
confirmation
> tone to dial 10 digit cell number. Roger's might use the same codes.
>
> G M
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
> message news:9TTSc.10839$s81.454105@wagner.videotron.net...
> > Rogers actually had something like this for Canada awhile ago (about 10
> > years ago). You used to be able to dial a local number and then dial the
> > visiting person's cellphone number.
> >
> > The way it worked was that if my cellphone number had a Montreal area
code
> > but I was visting Toronto, the people in Toronto could call a special
> local
> > number and then they would dial my Montreal cellphone number. They would
> > then not have to pay long distance to speak with me.
> >
> > I'm not sure if Rogers still has something like this because I can no
> longer
> > find any information about it.
> >

> > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2004.08.12.12.29.56.138703@yahoo.com...
> > > No.

> in
> long

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:56:47 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:50:11 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:
>
>>The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
>>in the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
>>long distance charges? How does one dial the number?
>
>If they are not in 416 they will incur long distance and roaming
>charges. You dial their number the same way you normally would.

Even though both telephones are roaming in the U.S.A.

>+1(area code) 7 digits will always work as well.
>You will be charged or not charged depending on whether the number you
>are calling is long distance. If the number you're calling is local
>it will remain local for *you* but if the other person is either
>roaming or has moved into a non-local area they will pay the long
>distance and/or roaming charge.

Thank you. I guess both of us will be charged roaming and long
distance. I guess it's best to bring along a couple of FRS radios in
addition to the cellphone.
August 13, 2004 11:56:48 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:56:47 -0400, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:50:11 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:36:13 -0400, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>The situation: Two people with 416-xxx-xxxx phone number are roaming
>>>in the USA. Is it possible to call the other person without incurring
>>>long distance charges? How does one dial the number?
>>
>>If they are not in 416 they will incur long distance and roaming
>>charges. You dial their number the same way you normally would.
>
>Even though both telephones are roaming in the U.S.A.

Of course not! Both phones will pay roaming and long distance. I did
not get from the original post that both would be in the US. Of
course if both are in the US both will pay roaming and long distance.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:19:05 PM

Does anyone have the list of the roaming access numbers?

Thanks,
DK

"Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
> offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
> number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
> number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone
long-distance
> fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with
Fido,
> sorry about the sidebar.
>
> CU
>
> "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > Bell still has this feature, you dial 511 hit send and wait for
> confirmation
> > tone to dial 10 digit cell number. Roger's might use the same codes.
> >
> > G M
> >
> > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
> > message news:9TTSc.10839$s81.454105@wagner.videotron.net...
> > > Rogers actually had something like this for Canada awhile ago (about
10
> > > years ago). You used to be able to dial a local number and then dial
the
> > > visiting person's cellphone number.
> > >
> > > The way it worked was that if my cellphone number had a Montreal area
> code
> > > but I was visting Toronto, the people in Toronto could call a special
> > local
> > > number and then they would dial my Montreal cellphone number. They
would
> > > then not have to pay long distance to speak with me.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if Rogers still has something like this because I can no
> > longer
> > > find any information about it.
> > >

> > > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:p an.2004.08.12.12.29.56.138703@yahoo.com...

> > in
> > long

August 16, 2004 2:31:28 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:19:05 -0400, "DK" <theedge7777@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Does anyone have the list of the roaming access numbers?

Such numbers do not exist for Fido.

Get yourself a personal 800 number if it's important for people to be
able to call you cheaply. It'll cost you however.

>Thanks,
>DK
>
>"Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
>> offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
>> number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
>> number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone
>long-distance
>> fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with
>Fido,
>> sorry about the sidebar.
>>
>> CU
>>
>> "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> > Bell still has this feature, you dial 511 hit send and wait for
>> confirmation
>> > tone to dial 10 digit cell number. Roger's might use the same codes.
>> >
>> > G M
>> >
>> > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
>> > message news:9TTSc.10839$s81.454105@wagner.videotron.net...
>10
>the

>> code
>> > local
>would

>> > longer

>roaming
>> > in
>> > long

August 16, 2004 2:42:55 PM

Canada:
http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/can_roamer_number.jsp

U.S.
http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/us_roamer_number.jsp

Hope this helps!

CU

"DK" <theedge7777@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Does anyone have the list of the roaming access numbers?
>
> Thanks,
> DK
>
> "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
> > offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
> > number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
> > number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone
> long-distance
> > fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with
> Fido,
> > sorry about the sidebar.
> >
> > CU
> >
> > "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > > Bell still has this feature, you dial 511 hit send and wait for
> > confirmation
> > > tone to dial 10 digit cell number. Roger's might use the same codes.
> > >
> > > G M
> > >
> > > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote
in
> > > message news:9TTSc.10839$s81.454105@wagner.videotron.net...
> 10
> the

> > code
> > > local
> would

> > > longer

> roaming
> > > in
> > > long

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:46:33 PM

Actually, it's easier to remember this url:
www.bell.ca/roam.

CU

> Canada:

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/can_roamer_number.jsp

> U.S.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/us_roamer_number.jsp

> Hope this helps!
>
> CU
>
> "DK" <theedge7777@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Does anyone have the list of the roaming access numbers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DK
> >
> > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
> > > offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
> > > number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
> > > number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone
> > long-distance
> > > fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with
> > Fido,
> > > sorry about the sidebar.
> > >
> > > CU
> > >
> > > "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > > confirmation

> in
> > 10
> > the

> area
> > > code
> special
> > would

> no

> > roaming
> incurring

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:39:21 PM

re: roaming access numbers

Is there something in GSM which prevents those local roaming numbers ?

or do networks feel that the roaming access numbers are costing them too much
in potential revenus (long distance charges) and thus have no incentives to
implement them ?

(whereas in the past, Cantel, Bell made more money on the per minute charges,
which could help pay for those roaming numbers. But now, with per minute
charges down, perhaps the networks can't justify the extra costs of roaming
numbers and prefer the extra revenus from the unnecessary long distance calls.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:54:06 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o pr1i097809rcn3e8vg36li1gqn8i0dg2o@4ax.com...
> Get yourself a personal 800 number if it's important for people to be
> able to call you cheaply. It'll cost you however.

MDCI in Winnipeg doesn't charge much for these. They're free if you don't
subscribe to them as your land line long distance carrier, and free, aside
from a minimum $5 monthly charge, if you don't.

http://www.mdci.ca

I'm just a subscriber.

Jim
August 16, 2004 10:39:45 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:39:21 -0400, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>re: roaming access numbers
>
>Is there something in GSM which prevents those local roaming numbers ?
>
>or do networks feel that the roaming access numbers are costing them too much
>in potential revenus (long distance charges) and thus have no incentives to
>implement them ?

I've never heard of local "roaming" numbers on GSM. That doesn't mean
that it couldn't exist I just have never heard of it on a GSM network
using that system. That system of local numbers is a remnant of older
cellular systems that could not transfer you without your announcing
to the system where you were.

August 17, 2004 1:04:09 AM

Does the cellphone owner save on the long distance/roaming charge or does
the person calling him/her save on the long distance charge (or do both of
them save on it)?

I don't know much about cell technology but what if someone calls one of
those roaming numbers and the person that they are calling has already left
or gone back to their home city? Does this work? Who pays for the long
distance/roaming in this case?

Also, I thought that your nearest service provider's transmitter HLR
(registers the phone on their network) so if I'm lets say in Toronto with my
Fido phone, the nearest Fido transmitter in Toronto would know that I am
there and relay my calls there. Is this correct?

Too bad Fido doesn't have the roaming access numbers... but they have so
much other services/plans that the other carriers don't have (unlimited GPRS
plan, unlimited incoming calls plan, billing by the second for monthly
plans, etc.).

> Canada:

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/can_roamer_number.jsp

> U.S.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=n...(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/travel_guide/us_roamer_number.jsp

> Hope this helps!
>
> CU
>
> "DK" <theedge7777@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Does anyone have the list of the roaming access numbers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DK
> >
> > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Bell and Telus still use roaming access numbers, but Rogers no longer
> > > offers this service. For Bell and Telus users, if you have a Montreal
> > > number but are in Toronto, someone can call the Toronto roaming access
> > > number, then dial your 10-digit number to avoid the cell-phone
> > long-distance
> > > fee. It is a very little know feature. But it has nothing to do with
> > Fido,
> > > sorry about the sidebar.
> > >
> > > CU
> > >
> > > "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:D eXSc.27185$Mq1.1679259@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > > confirmation

> in
> > 10
> > the

> area
> > > code
> special
> > would

> no

> > roaming
> incurring

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 9:27:04 PM

Does Telus provide this service? I can't find it anywhere on their site.

DK

!