c:system volume information

I was doing some housework on my c: and came across this 2.5GB directory.
It has one directory inside labelled
_restore{E31E299F-5B7C-4DE3-A864-679C6A7C6C6F}
I believe it is quite important. Is there anyway of controlling the content
of this folder. as i would like to free up some space on my HD.

Regards
Reuben

Reuben,
Are you looking at folder C:\System Volume Information?
That is part of the archive for XP's System Restore service. Do not remove
from these folders unless you are absolutely sure of what you're doing.
Check on your System Restore settings and file-space allocation --go to
Control Panel---Performance and Maint ----System -----in System
properties----click on "System Restore" TAB ----make sure system restore is
ON ---(eg uncheck the line "Turn off system restore.."----Also, click the
"Settings" button to see how much disk space is allowed for system restore.
You need to allocate enough space for it to be able to save "restore point"
snapshots.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

---
"RT" wrote
>I was doing some housework on my c: and came across this 2.5GB directory.
>It has one directory inside labelled
>_restore{E31E299F-5B7C-4DE3-A864-679C6A7C6C6F}
> I believe it is quite important. Is there anyway of controlling the
> content of this folder. as i would like to free up some space on my HD.
>

> Regards
> Reuben

Reuben,
Is this XP on Service Pack 2 ? or is it service pack 1? and if you know,
Pro edition or Home edition of XP?
Run WINVER and see what it shows as far as service pack (towards middle of
screen shown & edition will show up at the top).
It also appears that System Volume folder is Hidden on NTFS systems, but may
be seen on FAT32 systems.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

---
"RT" wrote
>I was doing some housework on my c: and came across this 2.5GB directory.
>It has one directory inside labelled
>_restore{E31E299F-5B7C-4DE3-A864-679C6A7C6C6F}
> I believe it is quite important. Is there anyway of controlling the
> content of this folder. as i would like to free up some space on my HD.
>

> Regards
> Reuben

Hi Reuben,

No, the content of the SVI folder can not be changed. If any changes
are made to this folder some or all of the System Restore points will
become corrupt.

The size of the SVI folder can be managed by adjusting the amount of
disk space allotted to storing restore points.
How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html

For tips on adjusting the amount of disk space used, check out the
following web page.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--