My "home made" s-v to RCA converter not working

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
I previously had a Radeon 8500 which came as Bulk so there were no S-video to composite converters included. Believe it or not I was unable to find one where I live. However, experimenting with a Hi-Fi audio cable (which has a 4 pin S-video connector that splits into 2 compusite connectors) I noticed that if I joined together both composite connectors I would get a working S-video to Composite converter. It worked perfectly with every DVD I tried it with and every Video card as well except one from an uncle's Laptop.

Anyway, recently I bought a Radeon 9700 Pro which also came as bulk so there were no other components installed. But I was surprised to find out that my converter doesn't work with this card. The S-video connector works fine because I tried it out with a TV with S-video and it worked fine but the moment I hook up my converter it stops working. Does this mean that I'll need to get an "official" converter"? Any thoughts?

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
ATI S-video ports have 7 pins + key, so your adapter probably is a standard 4 pin S video cable. This wont work, and I dont rememeber exactly why (something to do with the signal ATI cards use and the pins output ability to be converted to component RGB).

I ran into this same issue a year or so ago with a customer when i used to sell computers at best buy. The ATI equipped laptops had the 7 pin S-video plugs, and customers thought they would have to use a 7 pin S video cable, when they didnt. Apparently, though, looks like you have to have a 7 pin <font color=red>converter</font color=red>. Im looking at my converter cable right now and sure enough it has 7 pins.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
Actually it seems I've solved the problem with this link:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

I took out a 1000pF ceramic capacitor from an old toy car I had and did as stated and it worked. It seems that it desn't really matter how many pins the connector has (both the 8500 and the 9700 had 7 pins) but the 9700 (and I would assume that many other video cards as well) need the capacitor in place.

Thanks a lot for yor reply though :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't even need a converter. The "adapter" the card comes with is just a passthrough for the added pins. The added pins actually carry a Composite Video signal, hence no conversion is needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
My card didn't came with any adapter though. But what you say is quite interesting. You wouldn't happen to know what does each of the 3 additional pins do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some cards had 2 extra pins, rather than 3. Those 2 pins were the center (signal) and ground wires for a Composite cable. Your guess is as good as mine what the 3rd wire is for.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>