Sign in with
Your question

[Help!] Laptop won't charge at all

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 17, 2012 7:17:37 PM

Hello,

Laptop: Gateway M-1626
Specs: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/Avalon/1015412...

At first I had to wiggle the laptop charger cord (intermittent charging), so bought new laptop charger.

Accidentally left the old charger plugged into laptop and it seemed to semi-fuse to the DC power port on laptop.

Pulled the old charger out, and now laptop doesn't charge at all with new charger.

Any advice?

Thanks

More about : laptop charge

a b D Laptop
August 17, 2012 7:22:37 PM

The best thing you can do at this point is take the unit to a repair center. If that is going to be too expensive, then get rid of it. It sounds like it has a serious, and potentially dangerous, electrical fault. I would not plug it back in until it has been looked at by someone.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2012 7:27:46 PM

Hi,

If it's still under warranty contact gateway for repairs, if not

you can to a local electronic store and repair it for about 100 to 200 $

BTW gateway laptop are cheap, get another brand next time

top brand Asus / msi

2nd acer / hp / dell / apple / sony (get extended warranty as you will get trouble with 2-3 years of normal usage)

bottom feeders (don't touch with 10 foot pole) gateway / toshiba,
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2012 7:31:24 PM

if the ac adaptor shorted out then it may have taken the mb or charing board if this laptop has a daughter board for power with it. if your lucky the power plug on the laptop the solider joint is broken. it a standard pasrt that you can order from digikey. you just have to soilder to old one off and soilder the new one on if it out of warranty.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:16:41 AM

Thanks guys,

Ordered the DC jack part and going to take it for repair 8/20. See what they say.

Also, thanks for the new laptop suggestions. My next purchase wont be so cheap (gateway).
m
l
!