Inserting symbols and changing fonts in email and newsgroups

Some time ago, perhaps a year or more, I thought that I had read and
saved an article about how to alter the appearance of fonts in email
and/or in newsgroup articles. By that I mean converting the font to
bold or Italic or underline using control codes or ALT keys.

The same article also explained how to insert symbols such as the cent
sign, copyright symbol and the R-in-a-circle registered trademark
symbol.

I've hunted through my text files and absolutely can't find the
article.

Can anyone give me this information or direct me to a site where I
might find it?

I'm running Netscape 7.0 under Windows 98SE on an elderly Dell
Dimension L___r computer. I use the Netscape email reader and
newsgroup reader, and sometimes Agent newsgroup reader.

I'll appreciate any comment or suggestions.

-Len

Posting to newsgroups should be in Text not html which is what you'd be
doing if you were to change the appearance of text as in adding color or
bold or italic fonts.

What you are looking for is "Windows Alt Key codes"

To use symbols with text, (make sure your num lock is on)
While holding down the "ALT" key type the code with the numeric key pad on
the right of your keyboard. Release the alt key, the character will appear.

alt + 155 = ¢
alt + 167 = º
alt + 0169 = ©
alt = 0174 = ®

This page has a chart: http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp

"LenS" <lenston@att.net> wrote in message
> Some time ago, perhaps a year or more, I thought that I had read and
> saved an article about how to alter the appearance of fonts in email
> and/or in newsgroup articles. By that I mean converting the font to
> bold or Italic or underline using control codes or ALT keys.
>
> The same article also explained how to insert symbols such as the cent
> sign, copyright symbol and the R-in-a-circle registered trademark
> symbol.
>
> I've hunted through my text files and absolutely can't find the
> article.
>
> Can anyone give me this information or direct me to a site where I
> might find it?

Yup, that's what I was looking for exactly.

I don't care so much about altering the fonts appearance although
underlining would be nice. I do, however, want to be able to insert
symbols, and these ALT-key codes work find.

I found a character map of the codes within Windows at
Startup->Programs->Accessories->System Tools-> Character Map

Thank you for your help.

-Len