R480 in Fourth Quarter

Despite xbit saying the contrary, the InQ is again saying they will arrive in Q4;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18850" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18850</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Perhaps samples but I couldnt see full production models being spit out.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
The mhz wars always benefit us consumers. Its funny because if you look at the big horsepower battles in the past with the car market, and look at the mhz wars in the pc market, its pretty much the exact same thing.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, GeForce 6800 GT.

The thing is, now that ATI have worked on the 0.11 process with it's X300/700 products and nV has their experience with the GF6600. both will be very interested in moving quickly to increase the # of cores per wafer, and thus reduce the costs. That potentially this means faster core speeds (probably more so for nV than ATI since ATI is currently using 0.13Low-K and nV is just using 0.13) would be an additional benifit to allow higher clock speeds without pushing the cards so much. Building a GF6800U-E w/ 0.11 would likely mean far more cores could reach this exotic speed than currently happens with just plain 0.13. It will also be interesting to see whether a 0.11 X800XTPE can reach as fast or faster than the low-k 0.13 version.

Anyways there are big payoffs for both companies who are stuggling to meet demand, that if they can get these cards produced it should lower costs and increase yields, and hopefully we see less price-gouging, and both nV and ATI see the majority of the profits not the middle-man who seems to be yanking us for premiums above MSRP!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah, I didn't even think about you when I read this, but wouldn't it be perfect, heck I might just bypass the X700/GF6600 series all together if it's attractive enough (then of course turn around and sell it once the R5xx/NV5x come out. :cool:

I might have to drop by Bureau en Gros for Xmas (I'll be out East again I think) and see if I can find a 'marked down' 'display' model. :evil:

eden

Champion
I might have to drop by Bureau en Gros for Xmas (I'll be out East again I think) and see if I can find a 'marked down' 'display' model.
What, an R480?

Yeah, I didn't even think about you when I read this, but wouldn't it be perfect, heck I might just bypass the X700/GF6600 series all together if it's attractive enough (then of course turn around and sell it once the R5xx/NV5x come out.
What is truly attracting me to it is the process used. It might just consume less power and run cooler, and above all, what you also said before, it will allow more yeilds thus allowing more cores per wafer and thus selling for less (I hope).

If logic prevails, we should have better prices. Because honestly, 750 freaking Canadian dollars is price gouging no matter what someone argues. Gawd, we have Athlon XP 3000+ HP systems for that price!

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>

What, an R480?
Yes, a 'fallen of the back of the truck, display only, open box, no manual or drivers, returned to store' model at a great discount. :wink:

Hopefully the yields will be good, and with that there will be many and we won't be getting this highway robbery at stores.

I'm not paying above MSRP for any technology part that depreciates faster than a Banana!

Yeah and I'd like to see them use some of that increased revenue (and likely profit) to good use.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 10/08/04 04:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Man you better be dreamin', I don't think Staples will ever have new hardware in store like that. Not to my experience. The best we have is....*gulp* the 9550! :eek:

Man if they had the R480, that'd make for a nice employee rebate day. :cool:

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>