How can I restrict access to a program by time?

May 19, 2005 4:21:18 AM

I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
done?

TIA
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:21:19 AM

Windows XP does not have a native solution for your inquiry.
You may wish to visit www.google.com and perform a search
for a possible third-party solution.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gremlin" wrote:

| I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
| it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
| done?
|
| TIA
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:21:19 AM

"Gremlin" <not-here@all.mate> wrote:

>I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
>it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
>done?

I don't know if this would work or not... how about creating a batch
file that changes the name of the .exe file to something else and then
use the Task Scheduler to run that task at the time wanted. You could
do the same thing for renaming the file back to normal with another
scheduled task. I leave my computer on all the time, and have used
task scheduler to play a wav and pop up a message to remind me to take
my medications at specific times of the day. It might be worth a try.
:)
May 19, 2005 12:58:58 PM

Thanks for your reply

As strange as it seems, I couldn't find any!!

> Windows XP does not have a native solution for your inquiry.
> You may wish to visit www.google.com and perform a search
> for a possible third-party solution.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Gremlin" wrote:
>
> | I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so
> that
> | it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
> | done?
> |
> | TIA

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:47:32 PM

Thanks for that idea. I expect that it will work - a bit inelegant, but the
job will be done!

Unfortunately, I come from a longish computing background where access
control was mandatory and simple. Seems amazing that these concepts are yet
to make it to the desktop, even Group Policy is useless in this
respect.....sigh

Thanks for your suggestion

<Zilbandy> wrote in message
> "Gremlin" <not-here@all.mate> wrote:
>
>>I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
>>it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
>>done?
>
> I don't know if this would work or not... how about creating a batch
> file that changes the name of the .exe file to something else and then
> use the Task Scheduler to run that task at the time wanted. You could
> do the same thing for renaming the file back to normal with another
> scheduled task. I leave my computer on all the time, and have used
> task scheduler to play a wav and pop up a message to remind me to take
> my medications at specific times of the day. It might be worth a try.
> :)
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:16:36 PM

PC TimeWatch