How can I restrict access to a program by time?

I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
done?

TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about restrict access program time

    Windows XP does not have a native solution for your inquiry.
    You may wish to visit www.google.com and perform a search
    for a possible third-party solution.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Gremlin" <not-here@all.mate> wrote:

    >I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
    >it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
    >done?

    I don't know if this would work or not... how about creating a batch
    file that changes the name of the .exe file to something else and then
    use the Task Scheduler to run that task at the time wanted. You could
    do the same thing for renaming the file back to normal with another
    scheduled task. I leave my computer on all the time, and have used
    task scheduler to play a wav and pop up a message to remind me to take
    my medications at specific times of the day. It might be worth a try.
    :)

    Thanks for your reply

    As strange as it seems, I couldn't find any!!

    > Windows XP does not have a native solution for your inquiry.
    > You may wish to visit www.google.com and perform a search
    > for a possible third-party solution.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Gremlin" wrote:
    >
    > | I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so
    > that
    > | it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
    > | done?
    > |
    > | TIA

    Thanks for that idea. I expect that it will work - a bit inelegant, but the
    job will be done!

    Unfortunately, I come from a longish computing background where access
    control was mandatory and simple. Seems amazing that these concepts are yet
    to make it to the desktop, even Group Policy is useless in this
    respect.....sigh

    Thanks for your suggestion

    <Zilbandy> wrote in message
    > "Gremlin" <not-here@all.mate> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to restrict access to a program, such as Windows Messenger, so that
    >>it can only be used, say after 1700. Any thoughts about how this can be
    >>done?
    >
    > I don't know if this would work or not... how about creating a batch
    > file that changes the name of the .exe file to something else and then
    > use the Task Scheduler to run that task at the time wanted. You could
    > do the same thing for renaming the file back to normal with another
    > scheduled task. I leave my computer on all the time, and have used
    > task scheduler to play a wav and pop up a message to remind me to take
    > my medications at specific times of the day. It might be worth a try.
    > :)

    PC TimeWatch
    http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Gremlin" wrote:

    | Thanks for your reply
    |
    | As strange as it seems, I couldn't find any!!

Support Messenger Microsoft Windows XP