Gigabyte GEAR could shorten AGP card life.

While it's a good idea in theory, heck I still want one, it appears that the Gigabyte PCIe + AGP boards may shorten AGP card lifespans when used in the GEAR/AGP slot.

It's apparantely even mentioned in the manual according to the InQ;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18843" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18843</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"It says: "G.E.A.R. interface is designed to provide a temporary AGP solution before the mass availability of PCI Express graphics card. It is suggested to use PCI Express X 16 interface graphics card to avoid the damage of your AGP graphics card".

And it continues: "G.E.A.R. interface is created through PCI interface signal and voltage switching to AGP interface, due to this technical specification difference, it might cause AGP graphics card life-span shortens". µ"

Here people weve created this great temp solution for you to still use your agp card!!!! The downside is uh, it might actually destroy your card.

The good side though, maybe running increased voltage on the gear slot would enable you to overclock the hell out of your card and not have to worry about turning it up manually.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,GeForce 6800 GT

True OCing potential may be increased, and to me at this point from a personal point of view, not feeling being forced to go PCIe before the companies get their best out there , is worht a fried old AGP card IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

RichPLS

Champion
Does not this GEAR slot have voltage mods in BIOS?
If so, could you undervolt it?

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Im looking foward to building my new system once all these technologys cement themselves. Dual Core Processors, ATX Mobos, Pci X...

I wonder if dual video cards is going to pick up and become a mainstay???

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, GeForce 6800 GT.

Probably, BUT you'd be undervolting ALL the PCIe stuff.

This would work if you have no PCIe cards (like audio or ethernet) installed, but I wouldn't even recommend that.

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
ATX Mobos, Pci X...
you mean BTX mobos and PCI-e?
Because atx is what we have now, and pci-x is a higher bandwidth pci slot for servers.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Dual Core Processors, ATX Mobos, Pci X...
You forgot to mention PCIe 56K Modems

Athlon 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, 768Mb Corsair XMS 5-2-2-2.5, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128Mb, Seagate SATA 80Gb, Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
I love the new "Turbo Browsing Technology" all the slowdem companys are using, I wonder what n00b-nation would think of them if they realized it was just a huge cache of cookies getting dumped on their computer to make love @ aol's site load up .05 seconds faster.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT