disk drive problem?

May 18, 2005 2:17:54 PM

hi, today when i turned on my computer it started just fine then after a
few minutes the cd writer disk drive kicked on and everything froze up
and i can't do anything at all....i have to hold the power button in to
turn the computer off.
does this mean i have a bad disk drive or what?
and if it is bad will the computer not work at all without it being
fixed?
thanks for any help...

gail

hp pavilion 7920
windows xp sp1
30GB

More about : disk drive problem

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:43:13 PM

Let it sit powered off for a few minutes. (You may even temporarily
disconnect the main power cord. Then plug it back in). Power on & see if
you can log in to Windows.
How old is the pc , the CD writer?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
> hi, today when i turned on my computer it started just fine then after a
> few minutes the cd writer disk drive kicked on and everything froze up
> and i can't do anything at all....i have to hold the power button in to
> turn the computer off.
> does this mean i have a bad disk drive or what?
> and if it is bad will the computer not work at all without it being
> fixed?
> thanks for any help...
>
> gail
>
> hp pavilion 7920
> windows xp sp1
> 30GB

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:55:30 PM

i got the computer from a family member and am not sure how old it is
but am guessing from what i can remember that it is about 3 years old.

gail
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:25:08 PM

Gail, Have you tried my suggestion to power off, and then on?
And btw, do you have an XP CD that should have come with the pc?
Is it a brand-name pc?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User