DVD-R/DVD+R Drives

Really annoying problem! Does anyone know how I can find out if I can write
to DVD-R or DVD+R? I've bought both formats and tried writing to each but
the computer doesn't recognis the blank DVD! What's going on? Can I only
write to CD-R and CD-RW???? Major frustration! Any help/advice appriciated!!

Thanks
Louise
Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.

Do you have a DVD recording drive installed?
One cannot write to a DVD disc unless you
have a DVD recording drive and software installed.

You'll need a DVD -R or DVD +R drive installed
and also a third-party DVD recording program such
as Nero (http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html)

Example:

HP Black 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 2.4X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 4X
DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache
IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827140007

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gemit" wrote:

| Really annoying problem! Does anyone know how I can find out if I can write
| to DVD-R or DVD+R? I've bought both formats and tried writing to each but
| the computer doesn't recognis the blank DVD! What's going on? Can I only
| write to CD-R and CD-RW???? Major frustration! Any help/advice appriciated!!
|
| Thanks
| Louise
| Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.

Got the third party recording prog but how do I find out if I have a DVD
recording drive installed or is it planely obvious?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have a DVD recording drive installed?
> One cannot write to a DVD disc unless you
> have a DVD recording drive and software installed.
>
> You'll need a DVD -R or DVD +R drive installed
> and also a third-party DVD recording program such
> as Nero (http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html)
>
> Example:
>
> HP Black 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 2.4X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 4X
> DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache
> IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827140007
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Gemit" wrote:
>
> | Really annoying problem! Does anyone know how I can find out if I can write
> | to DVD-R or DVD+R? I've bought both formats and tried writing to each but
> | the computer doesn't recognis the blank DVD! What's going on? Can I only
> | write to CD-R and CD-RW???? Major frustration! Any help/advice appriciated!!
> |
> | Thanks
> | Louise
> | Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.

Open MY COMPUTER and look under the heading
"Devices with Removable Storage". If you do not
see a "DVD-RW" drive listed, you do not have one installed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gemit" wrote:

| Got the third party recording prog but how do I find out if I have a DVD
| recording drive installed or is it planely obvious?

Yeah, just found out my MATSHITA UJDA720 DVD/CDRW drive doesn't write to DVD,
just CD....arse! But thanks for yer help anyhow :)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open MY COMPUTER and look under the heading
> "Devices with Removable Storage". If you do not
> see a "DVD-RW" drive listed, you do not have one installed.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Gemit" wrote:
>
> | Got the third party recording prog but how do I find out if I have a DVD
> | recording drive installed or is it planely obvious?

That can be an easy mistake. Combo drives are generally CD-R/W writers with
DVD readers. If you want a DVD Writer you need to specify that at time of
purchase :-(

The price of DVD Writers has come down a lot in the past few months. Maybe
you can afford to add one.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> That can be an easy mistake. Combo drives are generally CD-R/W writers
> with
> DVD readers. If you want a DVD Writer you need to specify that at time of
> purchase :-(
>
> The price of DVD Writers has come down a lot in the past few months. Maybe
> you can afford to add one.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Gemit" <Gemit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah, just found out my MATSHITA UJDA720 DVD/CDRW drive doesn't write to
> DVD,
>> just CD....arse! But thanks for yer help anyhow :)
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Open MY COMPUTER and look under the heading
>> > "Devices with Removable Storage". If you do not
>> > see a "DVD-RW" drive listed, you do not have one installed.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >
>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> DVD

Now you can get a double layer DVD writer for the same price. It's just the
media that is costly. BUt you can still write CD and DVD single layers and
wait for the double layered media to come down in price.Instead of 4.7 gig
you can record 9 gig. Eventually they are supposed to come out with double
sided-double layered which would give you 18 gig per DVD. That means it will
write to both sides. You won't have to turn it over.

TRENDING THREADS