repairing my hard drive

May 18, 2005 2:09:41 PM

I have been trying to rescue my hard drive. Chkdsk and the WDC utility both
quit because of too many errors on the disk. It is clean of viruses now and
will boot but it's slow and still has problems running. I've backed up the
registry with erunt and all the files on the disk with the backup utility. I
used erunt because backup couldn't do the system state because of errors.

If I reformat the whole hard drive and then restore the files with backup
and the registry with erunt, am I right that my restored apps will work
without reinstalling them too?

Jeff

More about : repairing hard drive

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:01:23 AM

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been trying to rescue my hard drive. Chkdsk and the WDC utility both
>quit because of too many errors on the disk. It is clean of viruses now and
>will boot but it's slow and still has problems running. I've backed up the
>registry with erunt and all the files on the disk with the backup utility. I
>used erunt because backup couldn't do the system state because of errors.
>
>If I reformat the whole hard drive and then restore the files with backup
>and the registry with erunt, am I right that my restored apps will work
>without reinstalling them too?
>
>Jeff

Does WDC refer to the Western Digital diagnostic utility?

Does that utility report any fault codes with respect to your drive?
If it does then you are probably wasting your time trying to fix the
drive and you should be thinking of replacing it, and soon.

My advice would be to reformat the drive, and then run the
manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the drive. If there are still
problems then go for a replacement drive. And make sure you check the
warranty status of your drive. You can usually do this online using
the drive's serial number.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
May 19, 2005 2:04:13 PM

Thanks Ron.

yes, it's Western Digital.
I will try out your suggestions.
I'll check the warranty status too, just have to get it to tell me the s/n.

Jeff

!