Computer Hangs?

I'm using windows XP and just recently my computer has started hanging
(screen freezes). It starts from cold and will operate for about 5 minutes
then it hangs. But it doesn't always hang at the same point, sometimes when
using outlook express, or explorer or even if the computer isn't being used.
I can then only restart the computer using the reset switch on the facia.
Once restarted the screen hangs almost immediately once windows has
installed, This happens about 6 or 7 times before the computer seems to
operate without a problem.
I've ran Norton Anti-Virus software, Spyware removal software and even
de-fraged the disk, but I still keep having the same problem.
Can anyone help, please!
5 answers Last reply
More about computer hangs

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1674C748-439F-4E90-A8A2-5B6E8BD5B712@microsoft.com...
    > I'm using windows XP and just recently my computer has started hanging
    > (screen freezes). It starts from cold and will operate for about 5 minutes
    > then it hangs. But it doesn't always hang at the same point, sometimes when
    > using outlook express, or explorer or even if the computer isn't being used.
    > I can then only restart the computer using the reset switch on the facia.
    > Once restarted the screen hangs almost immediately once windows has
    > installed, This happens about 6 or 7 times before the computer seems to
    > operate without a problem.
    > I've ran Norton Anti-Virus software, Spyware removal software and even
    > de-fraged the disk, but I still keep having the same problem.
    > Can anyone help, please!

    Thanks, but I don't have a set up CD, windows XP was already installed when I
    got the computer. Any other sugestions?
    Cheers
    Neil

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1674C748-439F-4E90-A8A2-5B6E8BD5B712@microsoft.com...
    > > I'm using windows XP and just recently my computer has started hanging
    > > (screen freezes). It starts from cold and will operate for about 5 minutes
    > > then it hangs. But it doesn't always hang at the same point, sometimes when
    > > using outlook express, or explorer or even if the computer isn't being used.
    > > I can then only restart the computer using the reset switch on the facia.
    > > Once restarted the screen hangs almost immediately once windows has
    > > installed, This happens about 6 or 7 times before the computer seems to
    > > operate without a problem.
    > > I've ran Norton Anti-Virus software, Spyware removal software and even
    > > de-fraged the disk, but I still keep having the same problem.
    > > Can anyone help, please!

    Almost every system is supplied with some form of recovery. Often an "i386' folder on the drive. This would let you put Recovery
    Console on the (press F8) Safe Mode menu during startup.
    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp

    The point of running chkdsk from there is the ability to release the drive during any fix necessary. Try to install the RC to
    another drive or partition, if present.. ( chkdsk /r Will run from a command prompt.)
    --

    "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174F8B93-36A5-488D-BF4B-124F727495D3@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks, but I don't have a set up CD, windows XP was already installed when I
    > got the computer. Any other sugestions?
    > Cheers
    > Neil
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1674C748-439F-4E90-A8A2-5B6E8BD5B712@microsoft.com...
    >> > I'm using windows XP and just recently my computer has started hanging
    >> > (screen freezes). It starts from cold and will operate for about 5 minutes
    >> > then it hangs. But it doesn't always hang at the same point, sometimes when
    >> > using outlook express, or explorer or even if the computer isn't being used.
    >> > I can then only restart the computer using the reset switch on the facia.
    >> > Once restarted the screen hangs almost immediately once windows has
    >> > installed, This happens about 6 or 7 times before the computer seems to
    >> > operate without a problem.
    >> > I've ran Norton Anti-Virus software, Spyware removal software and even
    >> > de-fraged the disk, but I still keep having the same problem.
    >> > Can anyone help, please!

    Managed to run chkdsk/r, computer went through the motions and everything
    seems okay, but it still keeps crashing for no reason. Any other sugestions?
    cheers
    Neil

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Almost every system is supplied with some form of recovery. Often an "i386' folder on the drive. This would let you put Recovery
    > Console on the (press F8) Safe Mode menu during startup.
    > How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp
    >

    > The point of running chkdsk from there is the ability to release the drive during any fix necessary. Try to install the RC to
    > another drive or partition, if present.. ( chkdsk /r Will run from a command prompt.)
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174F8B93-36A5-488D-BF4B-124F727495D3@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks, but I don't have a set up CD, windows XP was already installed when I
    > > got the computer. Any other sugestions?
    > > Cheers
    > > Neil
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    > >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > >> ..

    Well, only you could know what recovery options you have available for that system, but it's a sure bet that any 'hang' that forces
    a restart in XP is going to be some conflict with a hardware driver. (corrupt, or needs updating)

    You might just be seeing the Norton anti-virus working on startup. Task Manager will show what is happening at the time.

    --

    "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78E4108B-67D7-49D4-9FD7-733EBEBD6793@microsoft.com...
    > Managed to run chkdsk/r, computer went through the motions and everything
    > seems okay, but it still keeps crashing for no reason. Any other sugestions?
    > cheers
    > Neil
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Almost every system is supplied with some form of recovery. Often an "i386' folder on the drive. This would let you put Recovery
    >> Console on the (press F8) Safe Mode menu during startup.
    >> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp
    >>

    >> The point of running chkdsk from there is the ability to release the drive during any fix necessary. Try to install the RC to
    >> another drive or partition, if present.. ( chkdsk /r Will run from a command prompt.)
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "ferris9999" <ferris9999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174F8B93-36A5-488D-BF4B-124F727495D3@microsoft.com...
    >> > Thanks, but I don't have a set up CD, windows XP was already installed when I
    >> > got the computer. Any other sugestions?
    >> > Cheers
    >> > Neil

Computers Windows XP