uninstalling windows xp

I really need your help because it’s much more complicated than the
title.
I have windows xp (ntfs) installed in a laptop. The OS has become very
unstable with many error and i want to re-format.
The fist problem is: i don’t know how to do this.

Then, after re-formating the pc i want to install windows 2000, but,
here’s the problem: For some reason, my CD-Rom drive has stoped
working, it doesn’t read anymore. So i can’t install through that
drive. I have an external CD-Rom drive connected through USB but i
don’t how to make it work without any OS installed.

What can i do??? Please help me.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-uninstalling-windows-xp-ftopict374371.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1216170

bar

1. Windows XP is generally regarded as a superior OS to Win2000
2. An unstable PC is usually the result of a] virus infection, b] sypware or
ad ware infection or c] incorrect driver files
3. Install and / or Update your Anti-Virus application and a Spyware
application, run them both in SAFE MODE and remove any infected files
4. If step 3 found any infected files try running the PC for a day or two
and see if it is more stable, if not then
5. Use your Windows XP installation CD and perform a repair installation
[this will rest the system files and driver files], you will need to apply
Service Patches and updates when completed.

"betogp1" wrote:

> I really need your help because it’s much more complicated than the
> title.
> I have windows xp (ntfs) installed in a laptop. The OS has become very
> unstable with many error and i want to re-format.
> The fist problem is: i don’t know how to do this.
>
> Then, after re-formating the pc i want to install windows 2000, but,
> here’s the problem: For some reason, my CD-Rom drive has stoped
> working, it doesn’t read anymore. So i can’t install through that
> drive. I have an external CD-Rom drive connected through USB but i
> don’t how to make it work without any OS installed.
>
> What can i do??? Please help me.

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-uninstalling-windows-xp-ftopict374371.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1216170

Check to see if your laptop's BIOS will allow booting from a USB device.
Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do the configuration or you can
do a search on the manufacturer's website for the model number and see if
they have an online manual. If it will boot USB device then set the boot
sequence to boot from the USB device before booting off the hard drive. Pop
the Windows 2000 CD into the drive and follow the installation process. You
will be given an option to Delete Partitions, Create partitions and Format
following which you can setup Windows 2000 (see here if needed
http://www.techtutorials.info/win2kinsta.html )

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"BAR" wrote:
> 1. Windows XP is generally regarded as a superior OS to
> Win2000
> 2. An unstable PC is usually the result of a] virus infection,
> b] sypware or
> ad ware infection or c] incorrect driver files
> 3. Install and / or Update your Anti-Virus application and a
> Spyware
> application, run them both in SAFE MODE and remove any
> infected files
> 4. If step 3 found any infected files try running the PC for a
> day or two
> and see if it is more stable, if not then
> 5. Use your Windows XP installation CD and perform a repair
> installation
> [this will rest the system files and driver files], you will
> need to apply
> Service Patches and updates when completed.
>
> "betogp1" wrote:
>
> > I really need your help because it’s much more complicated
> than the
> > title.
> > I have windows xp (ntfs) installed in a laptop. The OS has
> become very
> > unstable with many error and i want to re-format.
> > The fist problem is: i don’t know how to do this.
> >
> > Then, after re-formating the pc i want to install windows
> 2000, but,
> > here’s the problem: For some reason, my CD-Rom drive has
> stoped
> > working, it doesn’t read anymore. So i can’t install
> through that
> > drive. I have an external CD-Rom drive connected through USB
> but i
> > don’t how to make it work without any OS installed.
> >
> > What can i do??? Please help me.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-uninstalling-windows-xp-ftopict374371.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1216170

ok, is not windows xp what is unstable. The real problem is that my
laptop was designed for windows 2000. When i make a new installation
of win xp the first months works great, but the time goes on and i
install many aps and win xp becomes slower and slower and slower....
So the problem is my laptop, which barely has the minimum requirements
for windows xp to work. That’s why i want to go back to win 2000.

Btw, the other answer helped me a lot, i’ll try to see how it works
and inform you.

thanks for your help