Fido PrePaid amounts changing again?

So I get this SMS to my prepaid account saying check online about new
changes to validity periods of refill amounts.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml

They're having a "promotion" on $20/$30 amounts, but the $25/60 days
refill amount appears to be "while quantities last"? Looks like it's
history.

Not sure how many prepayers there are out there, but it seems fido keeps
shaking us into trying to go post-paid.
9 answers Last reply
More about fido prepaid amounts changing again

    Actually, the 30$ cards will now last 60 days, and have 200 minutes of
    airtime. For 5$ more than the 25$ card, you get 117 minutes more. Doesn`t
    sound like such a bad deal to me.

    CU

    "<Jon>" <jon@canada.ca> wrote in message
    > So I get this SMS to my prepaid account saying check online about new
    > changes to validity periods of refill amounts.
    >
    > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml
    >
    > They're having a "promotion" on $20/$30 amounts, but the $25/60 days
    > refill amount appears to be "while quantities last"? Looks like it's
    > history.
    >
    > Not sure how many prepayers there are out there, but it seems fido keeps
    > shaking us into trying to go post-paid.

    You are right ,it is a better deal at the $0.15/min rate, for 60 days
    it's a good deal. But what I am wondering is this "Deal" is only valid
    until the end of the year, so will the $25/60days amount be gone by
    then, and the $30 amount go back to being for only 30 days.

    I don't want to give up my phone, but I use it very little but
    regularily. I used to only refill $25/90 days until they got rid of
    that last year. Now I refill $25/60 days which works out to $14/month
    after tax. So if they get rid of it, I'll be paying nearly $20 a month
    for my very low usage.

    Cellular Unlocker wrote:
    > Actually, the 30$ cards will now last 60 days, and have 200 minutes of
    > airtime. For 5$ more than the 25$ card, you get 117 minutes more. Doesn`t
    > sound like such a bad deal to me.
    >
    > CU
    >
    > "<Jon>" <jon@canada.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>So I get this SMS to my prepaid account saying check online about new
    >>changes to validity periods of refill amounts.
    >>
    >>http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml
    >>
    >>They're having a "promotion" on $20/$30 amounts, but the $25/60 days
    >>refill amount appears to be "while quantities last"? Looks like it's
    >>history.
    >>
    >>Not sure how many prepayers there are out there, but it seems fido keeps
    >>shaking us into trying to go post-paid.

    I agree, I also use it very little but regularly and the $25/90 days suited
    my usage pattern and budget.

    They really must bring that type of deal back or loose out to bell.

    I guess Fido is going down the tubes and this pricing strategy will
    ultimately land Fido out of customers and maybe be bought out by Telus or
    Bell anyway.

    It was the cheapest deal in North America. That's why I became a Fido
    person. It worked out to a fair monthly average price since paying
    something in the $25 to $30 per month plan rate would be total overkill for
    my needs. And I hate wasting money:( I already pay outrageously for cable
    TV that I only have time to watch for 3 minutes per day, usually just the
    weather channel.

    Fido seems to be loosing their price advantage versus the other providers
    and their signal coverage is very poor to nil outside of the city. If I'm
    going to have to ultimately pay 30 bucks a month I might as well switch to a
    cell phone provider like bell with better signal coverage and fewer gray
    areas and drop outs.

    Oh well, it was good well it lasted :-)

    > You are right ,it is a better deal at the $0.15/min rate, for 60 days
    > it's a good deal. But what I am wondering is this "Deal" is only valid
    > until the end of the year, so will the $25/60days amount be gone by
    > then, and the $30 amount go back to being for only 30 days.
    >
    > I don't want to give up my phone, but I use it very little but
    > regularily. I used to only refill $25/90 days until they got rid of
    > that last year. Now I refill $25/60 days which works out to $14/month
    > after tax. So if they get rid of it, I'll be paying nearly $20 a month
    > for my very low usage.
    >
    > Cellular Unlocker wrote:
    > > Actually, the 30$ cards will now last 60 days, and have 200 minutes of
    > > airtime. For 5$ more than the 25$ card, you get 117 minutes more.
    Doesn`t
    > > sound like such a bad deal to me.
    > >
    > > CU
    > >
    > > "<Jon>" <jon@canada.ca> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>So I get this SMS to my prepaid account saying check online about new
    > >>changes to validity periods of refill amounts.
    > >>
    > >>http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml
    > >>
    > >>They're having a "promotion" on $20/$30 amounts, but the $25/60 days
    > >>refill amount appears to be "while quantities last"? Looks like it's
    > >>history.
    > >>
    > >>Not sure how many prepayers there are out there, but it seems fido keeps
    > >>shaking us into trying to go post-paid.

    > They really must bring that type of deal back or loose out to bell.
    >
    > I guess Fido is going down the tubes and this pricing strategy will
    > ultimately land Fido out of customers and maybe be bought out by Telus or
    > Bell anyway.

    Yep.. going down the tubes.. I can hear the slipping on the slope already..
    yep..

    What have you guys been smoking? The $10 for 30 days
    voucher has been around for ages and still is around
    according to the previously posted URL:
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml

    This is probably why the $25/60days is being cancelled
    because it is a better deal to get $10/30days.

    obs wrote:
    > What have you guys been smoking? The $10 for 30 days
    > voucher has been around for ages and still is around
    > according to the previously posted URL:
    > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid.shtml
    >
    > This is probably why the $25/60days is being cancelled
    > because it is a better deal to get $10/30days.

    My guess is that they cancel it because too many people did the same thing
    as I: get *both* a $25 (= 60 days) and a $15 (= 15c/min) card at the same
    time and charge them one after the other, resulting in 15c/min for 60 days
    for $40, which is a pretty good deal (15c for $20/month).

    When the current promo ($30/15c/60d) is gone, this will not be possible
    anymore, for 15c/min you'll have to pay at least $25/month ($10/30d +
    $15/15d) -- a 25% increase!

    Just got this email back from Fido:

    [snipped]
    We can confirm that both the $25 and $40 vouchers are no longer in
    production. As these vouchers provided longer validity periods, we have
    decided to extend the validity periods on two other vouchers:

    The $30 voucher is now valid for 60 days and the $20 voucher is now
    validfor 30 days.

    Finally, we would like to assure you that Fido will honour the $25 and
    $40 vouchers that were produced and may still available in certain
    stores. Do not hesitate to purchase these vouchers if you can still find
    them.

    We thank you for having taken the time to contact us. As always, your
    questions and comments are of great value to us.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:46:51 -0400, Cellular Unlocker says...

    > Actually, the 30$ cards will now last 60 days, and have 200 minutes of
    > airtime. For 5$ more than the 25$ card, you get 117 minutes more. Doesn`t
    > sound like such a bad deal to me.

    It is the first time I have been pleasantly surprised after visiting
    the fido's web site to refill my account... (I didn't receive their
    sms). Since they introduced evenings & weekends plan I've been using
    it all along (refilling $20 every 20 days) but now it is becoming cheaper.
    Excellent! I only hope it is not *really* a limited time offer... :(

    alien wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:46:51 -0400, Cellular Unlocker says...
    >> Actually, the 30$ cards will now last 60 days, and have 200 minutes of
    >> airtime. For 5$ more than the 25$ card, you get 117 minutes more.
    >> Doesn`t sound like such a bad deal to me.
    >
    > Excellent! I only hope it is not *really* a limited time offer... :(

    When you call *46 and select "1" (Prepaid Account Balance), they'll tell you
    that the promo is only available until December 31st.

Fido Internet Service Providers