Windows can not Start up

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

Now I try to turn my laptop on again, there is a message "Windows Error Recovery: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software might be the cause.
If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, chose start windows normally: Or Launch startup repair (recommend) or Startup Windows normally"

I have chosen Launch startup repair, the screen shows "Windows is loading files", then "Startup repair" - it's searching for problem for some minutes - finally I receive a message from startup repair saying "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically", I click on "don't send". Nothing solved. When I tried to click on "finish", it comes a screen "System Recovery Options", where I need to chose a username and type in the password but unfortunately I can't remember the password :??:

What should I do in order to fix this? Highly appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Chuc

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Try booting into safe mode. This is usually done by pressing the F8 repeatedly during boot. Select the option to start windows with the last known good configuration. If you cant boot to safe mode, you can try doing a repair install of windows from a windows disc. From what you describe, I bet you don't have a separate disc. You may need to remember the user name and password. I do not think you will need it if you have or can borrow a disc.

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Hi DogSnake,

Thanks for the advice! You might be right that this is usually caused by pressing F8 during booting. I have done that. However, I just tried following your advice by selecting the last known good configuration, it appears the screen "Startup Repair" saying Startup Repair canot repair this computer automatically.

I have here a disc, which the windows 7 Professional was loaded. I also tried to put this disc in and rebooted my laptop but it still doesn't work :(

Any other idea why that is? What should I do next?

Chuc

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi DogSnake,

I just try to do the last thing is to install again new Windows 7 Professional but there is still the same problem. When the installation was finished, the windows was automatically starting but the screen was just black and the annoyed loudy sound.. :( I really don't know what to do any more..

Chuc

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your message!

The sound is coming from inside the case and it's whirling like cutting thin strips of metal, actually very lound.

Chuc

2 things I can think of that would cause that sound, a bad fan or a bad hard drive. From your posts you probably need to get a computer tech to check on these to see what the issue is. A bad fan will cause the laptop to overheat and crash and/or shut down, a bad drive can cause random issues like you are seeing as well. Although you say it's very loud, a drive making that sound loudly should be dead enough to not even work. Either way you'd need to have someone check on your hardware. On a slim chance you may be hearing some bad electronic noise which may be coming from the motherboard but that would not be loud at all, you'd have to hold you ear to the case to hear it.

I don't know if that's a good idea to scan the disk for errors at this point if there are any files on there that you'd want to save. I have seen chkdsk do a number on scrambling files when it runs across disk errors.

You should go with the idea it's a drive issue, get a $50 replacement drive, install Windows on it, and have someone check the old drive for any files that may be salvagable.

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi Hang the 9 and Jessica,

Thanks for the advices! After I run the check disk and installed again new windows 7,I am happy that t's finally working now. unfortunately not working perfectly. I now have problem with the touchpad and the keyboard: the touchpad is no more working; there are some keys no moreworking (such as h,1,2,7, etc..) and there are keys strange, for example, when I type key number 6, it shows u; key End, it shows 6.

Do you experience such a case? Could you pleaes advise me how to fix it?

Thank you,
Chuc

You have NumLock on. Many laptops have a number keypad "hidden" in the regular keys, look and you'll see them. Just turn off NumLock.

For the touchpad, it should be working normally without drivers, but you may need to go onlind and downlaod drivers for it from the manufacturer's web site.

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
hello hang the 9,

Thank you for your advice I have tried, the touchpad is now working, unfortunately the keyboard still doesn't work.

And another problem is when I turn on my laptop, it doesn't start directly with starting windows. There is always this message: "Windows Boot ManagerChose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool

Windows 7

To specific an advanced option for this choice, press F8

Tools:Windows Memory Diagnostic"

I chose Windows 7, then I will seethe screen "Starting windows" but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work. For times that it doesn't work, it started with "Startup Repair", then the result of Startup Repair is "Windows cannot repair your computer automatically" and there are two options: send this information to micorsoft windows or Don't send..

Could you or anyone pleaes help me to fix these problems?

higly appreciate your help!

Thank you very much,
Chuc

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
hi hang the 9,

Unfortunately, I don't have another hard drive to try :( Seems that I need to bring it to Lenovo's customer service.

It's very nice to have people like you, who offer help. I find it very helpfull and very nice of you guys!

Thank you!
Chuc