programme closes itself in XP?....

Please forgive me if I'm slightly off-topic here, but I wasn't sure where to
post this one:

I used to use a CD ROM language course on my old PC that was running W95.
However, I recently tried to use this software in my new PC (and in 2 other
machines) all running Windows XP and it won't work.
The programme starts and then immediately closes itself.
A message saying the following can be seen briefly:
"ART caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:73BC"

I am very surprised that this programme (which seems very basic to me) won't
run on XP. Could there be a simple solution, perhaps?

All help or suggestions of where else to look for a solution would be
greatly appreciated
Best regards,
Mike

How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike Redman" wrote:

| Please forgive me if I'm slightly off-topic here, but I wasn't sure where to
| post this one:
|
| I used to use a CD ROM language course on my old PC that was running W95.
| However, I recently tried to use this software in my new PC (and in 2 other
| machines) all running Windows XP and it won't work.
| The programme starts and then immediately closes itself.
| A message saying the following can be seen briefly:
| "ART caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:73BC"
|
| I am very surprised that this programme (which seems very basic to me) won't
| run on XP. Could there be a simple solution, perhaps?
|
| All help or suggestions of where else to look for a solution would be
| greatly appreciated
| Best regards,
| Mike

Hi Carey,
Thanks for the speedy reply - but can I be honest.....this all seems a bit
complicated to me!
Is going through all that stuff really necessary?
I am truly amazed that a programme that runs on a W95 platform is not
automatically supported by XP
Any other (possible easier) suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mike