Documents and Settings got locked away

Last night Windows XP just would not load. It would get to the blue
screen, but would not go anywhere from there. I was very tired already,
so decided not to bother with the other possibilities and just do a
repair install of windows, I've done that before and it helped.

This time however the option to repair the installation did not come up
in the Windows Setup screen (from the boot CD). So I told it to install
Windows from scratch, and hence it removed the old installation. I was
tired and wasn't thinking well and now I'm kicking myself... All the
old user accounts are gone, and the Documents and Settings are now
inaccessible because they were password-protected, though they are still
on the HD.

In the new Windows installation I created accounts with the exact same
names, but that still won't let me access the old Documents and
Settings. So now GBs of data is locked away from me on my own computer.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know how to retreave it?

Also, Windows wants me to activate it again, will Microsoft let me do that?

Cheers,
Konstantin S. Tchernov

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
In XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab. In
XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing.

--
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

"Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in

> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=
> winxp In XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security
> tab. In XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing.

Thanks, it works!

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

"Kostatus" <to.get.my.email@see.bottom.of.post> wrote in message
| "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in
|
| > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=
| > winxp In XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security
| > tab. In XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing.
| >

| Thanks, it works!

You're welcome..glad it helped. :)