Lenovo y580 or asus g75vw-bbk5

Hello,

I need a new laptop and have been searching around for quality/reliability for my needs. My budget max is 1400$, and I will be using the system for school, gaming, sibelius music software, and as my computer for when I start teaching next year.

Currently I have found a few options, but narrowed down to 2 after finding reliability reviews and pricing:
Lenovo y580 and Asus g75vw-bbk5
they both have intel core i7-3610QM proccessor, windows 7 home premium 64bit, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M 2gb, and 8GB RAM.
the lenovo has a 15.6" screen with 1920x1080 compared to the asus 17.3" 1366x768, lenovo has a 500GB 7200 rpm to the asus's 1TB 5400rpm.
The special features that I find to be the struggle of the decision between the two are that the lenovo has blu-ray and is cheap enough to have an extended warranty, while the asus has a better battery (8cell compared to 6cell) along with the creative cooling system. Price of the lenovo is 1055.84 and asus is 1249.99 after discounts I have found.

I was looking for opinions or experiences with these systems that can help provide info to which would be a better choice, or if there is a different laptop I should look at (or if either one of these two would be great either way).
3 answers Last reply
More about lenovo y580 asus g75vw bbk5
  1. 1. So, you are saying the screen is the deciding factor between the two and to take the lenovo?

2. I had looked at different tools that review graphics card performance by fps of different games, and seeing as the games are less demaning than WoW, the 660m shouldnt be a problem, so I would rather not spend more and 1400 is the absolute top of my price range and would help me to be less than that.

3.The games arent very demanding as I said, but I do actively play them. Currently, Atlantica online and wow are most played. I do not need the best that I can get, but do need a good-quality system that will be reliable. Battery-life is not too much of an issue seeing as how I have access to a power outlet almost every place I use my current laptop. Also, weight is not much of an issue, sure I dont want to carry around a brick, but I dont mind a couple pounds difference (backpack/laptop carrier is very durable).

4. I actually reviewed different MSI including a fair-priced GT780, but decided againt it due to reviews citing problems with reliability of overheating, poor customer service, and driver issues. I do not want a repeat experience of my current laptop, unfortunately an Inspiron. Also, 1450 is out of my budget seeing as how I only want to spend 1400 if I absolutely have to.
  2. Thank you, I will look into that one, but never know I might find a more demanding game.
    End the end, whole lot better than this unreliable dell inspiron with soldered integrated chipset graphics.
  3. Lenovo, hands down, i loved every thinkpad ive owned especially my current x61 ultra-portable, just wish they had more AMD powered machines..
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Lenovo Laptops