Please help me get my XP machine to restart....

Hi

I have an Evesham micros AMD 2400+ laptop with 480M Ram and XP Pro SP2
which works fine apart from when I restart it where it doe not go beyond a
black screen with a flashing cursor.

Taking the power out and removing the battery for a minute is the only way I
can get it to start so I was wondering what troubleshooting steps that I can
take to start sorting this issue? (I've done a Google search on the subject
and there's lots written about spontaneous restarting but nothing like what
I'm experiencing)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nigel Bell
UK

Hello Nigel,
You should indicate if you use hibernate or standby on this notebook. Also, is this new behavior, or something old?
Also, do you see the BIOS self-test startup when pc is first powering up? Does it go past that & show initial loading of Windows?

See these articles at MS
Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294427/

Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503

The second article may be more on-point to your situation. Do be careful.
Do you have an Windows XP CD? Did Evesham provide a full CD; not just the System Recovery CD ?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Nigel Bell" wrote