Delete recordings from HDD

Last response: in Computer Brands
March 5, 2005 10:21:23 PM

I have a drive that I took from my Dishplayer (DishTv PVR) and put in an
external firewire enclosure on my PC.

It has some DishTv programs recorded on it, and I can't seem to erase these
files. I have tried a reformat of the drive, deleted the partition and
formatted, and the files are still there. they do not show in Windows
Explorer since they are in a format that windows does not recognize.
Shouldn't a format clear all files off a drive?

any ideas on getting rid of these files, about 12GB worth.

The reason I can tell they are still there is when I run "Dishrip" (software
to rip the programs from the drive to the PC), the recordings are still
there. When ripping from the drive I now have in the Dishplayer no files
show on the drive until I run dishrip.

Thanks
Bob

More about : delete recordings hdd

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:21:24 PM

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
>I have tried a reformat of the drive, deleted the partition and
>formatted, and the files are still there.

>The reason I can tell they are still there is when I run "Dishrip" (software
>to rip the programs from the drive to the PC), the recordings are still
>there.

Are you sure they really are there, and it's not an artifact of the
Dishrip program that's remember that they are there? Repartitioning
the drive will definitely remove them. Does Windoze show the full
disk size available for use?
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:19:47 AM

Well I just got rid of them, I moved about 15GB of files to the drive,
deleted them but did not get the free space back. I did a reformat from
windows explorer with a right click and that recovered all of the space and
got rid of the recorded programs.

Bob
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:o 35k219of8ab3g780n6vovf99kf8lqhudd@4ax.com...
> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
>>I have tried a reformat of the drive, deleted the partition and
>>formatted, and the files are still there.
>
>>The reason I can tell they are still there is when I run "Dishrip"
>>(software
>>to rip the programs from the drive to the PC), the recordings are still
>>there.
>
> Are you sure they really are there, and it's not an artifact of the
> Dishrip program that's remember that they are there? Repartitioning
> the drive will definitely remove them. Does Windoze show the full
> disk size available for use?

March 6, 2005 2:19:48 AM

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
>Well I just got rid of them, I moved about 15GB of files to the drive,
>deleted them but did not get the free space back. I did a reformat from
>windows explorer with a right click and that recovered all of the space and
>got rid of the recorded programs.

Yeah, they probably had some 'file system' that they invented that
just didn't happen to collide with FAT or NTFS, so the 'empty' sectors
still contained your recorded programs. I was going to say that a
secure erase or low-level format would get rid of them, but it sounds
like you've solved it.
March 6, 2005 4:00:45 PM

Leanin' Cedar wrote:
> Well I just got rid of them, I moved about 15GB of files to the drive,
> deleted them but did not get the free space back. I did a reformat from
> windows explorer with a right click and that recovered all of the space and
> got rid of the recorded programs.

Is there a Defrag option?
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:38:01 PM

"Sparky" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
> Is there a Defrag option?

I tried defrag on the drive also with no luck. William had the best thought
on this, that the files are in a format that is not recognized by windows
and they were "hiding" in the free space. Not sure why a reformat and delete
partition from administrator tools did not work, but a right click and
reformat on the drive from windows explorer did work. Anyhow the files are
gone.

When I pull my new drive from the Dishplayer and put it in the external
firewire bay, the drive letter does not show on the PC and can not be
accessed by windows explorer etc., but by running dishrip it will find the
drive and let me rip to the PC and eventually to a DVD. Love the Dishplayer.

Bob
!