Windows Update Problems

May 19, 2005 12:18:01 AM

Every time I goto the Windows Update page and try to get the update, I get

Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update.

And yes I have Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2. Service pack 2
has been on the computer for a long time but this message just started. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:03:01 PM

This has to do with third-party firewall / Proxy servers. If you're using
Norton Internet Security / Personal Firewall, see this page for the
solution.

Error: "You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to
use Windows Update":
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/200...

For Sygate Firewall, use this configuration, posted by someone earlier:

<quote>

So, I opened Sygate, went to tool/options/security and found that "enable
stealth mode browsing" was checked. I unchecked it, enabled Sygate and
disabled XP firewall and the rest is history. I'm able to use the windows
update (IE - tools/windows update).

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP