Downloaded Program File Folder...Question Please

I got a trojan that ened up in the Downloded Progam Files Folder & a temp
internet folder.

In the Download Progarm Folder I know active x components are there, such as
Trends on line scanner, and some others. When i click properties it tell me
there are more files. This is with all folders viewed & os files viewed.
Still can not see them.

I was once told to go to Run, type cmd & the path to the folder, which i
did. This showed me all the files, including the trojan. I then read where
you can type del.*. * to get rid of them, which i did, & it worked fine. But
then i realized that there is an index folder there, was I lucky that that
65kb index folder then not delete also.

I would hate to have to do that again.....can that index folder be deleted
by typing del.*.

If so what would happen.

Thank you for any help.
Louie
2 answers Last reply
More about downloaded program file folder question please

    "Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote in message news:lv2dnYO96IV8jrffRVn-2w@adelphia.com...
    >I got a trojan that ened up in the Downloded Progam Files Folder & a temp
    > internet folder.
    >
    > In the Download Progarm Folder I know active x components are there, such as
    > Trends on line scanner, and some others. When i click properties it tell me
    > there are more files. This is with all folders viewed & os files viewed.
    > Still can not see them.

    If you did not see it the first time:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sys.pc-clone.dell/msg/62b8254c8b4473e2

    > I was once told to go to Run, type cmd & the path to the folder, which i
    > did. This showed me all the files, including the trojan. I then read where
    > you can type del.*. * to get rid of them, which i did, & it worked fine. But
    > then i realized that there is an index folder there, was I lucky that that
    > 65kb index folder then not delete also.
    >
    > I would hate to have to do that again.....can that index folder be deleted
    > by typing del.*.

    Temporary Internet Files (TIF) is also a special case. It is used for caching
    things such as files downloaded from the net. When something is cached,
    that something is stored in a data file and an entry is added or updated in the
    appropriate index.dat file. Which is just like it sounds... an index used to
    quickly find cached items. In order to properly remove an individual item,
    the data file must be deleted AND the index.dat file entry must be removed
    (which is too complicated to do by hand). So, when you explore TIF using
    Windows Explorer, you get a specialized interface that automatically removes
    the index.dat file entries associated with the data files that you selected &
    deleted. If you delete data files outside of that interface, for example via
    command prompt, those index.dat entries won't be removed. If you manually
    delete all the data files and manually delete the associated index.dat file, a fresh
    index.dat file will [eventually] be created and you will have essentially reset
    that that cache. However, removing at least some of the index.dat files
    can be tricky, since they are normally in use. Booting to DOS is one way to
    get around that, doing it when logged in as another user may also work.

    If you google you'll find pages provide more detailed information. There are
    also Microsoft newsgroups for the various operating systems (check your
    newsgroup list for newsgroups that start with microsoft.public.). The later
    is probably a safer bet, for if someone gives you bad advice, chances are
    good that they'll be corrected.

    Hello,

    1st thank yoy for your input.

    My qustion really focuses on the Downloaded program Folder. I use the cmd
    promp:
    - Start->Run, type "cmd", hit OK. Black window opens. In it...
    - Type "cd c:\windows\downloaded program files", hit enter.
    - Type "dir /a" to get a list of all files/folders

    I then did a del.*. ( i read you can delete the stuff in this folder this
    way.) I was worried that i could accidently delete that index.dat file 65kb.

    After i did the delete. I ran that promt again, everything was gone, but the
    index dat was still there....was I lucky, or can it not be deleted that way?
    It must have been the original index due to the date. it is dated as per my
    last reformat.

    Thank you,

    Louie

    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> [...]
    > delete all the data files and manually delete the associated index.dat
    file, a fresh
    > index.dat file will [eventually] be created and you will have essentially
    reset
    > that that cache. However, removing at least some of the index.dat
    files
    > can be tricky, since they are normally in use. Booting to DOS is one way
    > get around that, doing it when logged in as another user may also work.
    >
    > If you google you'll find pages provide more detailed information. There
    are
    > also Microsoft newsgroups for the various operating systems (check your
    > newsgroup list for newsgroups that start with microsoft.public.). The
    later
    > is probably a safer bet, for if someone gives you bad advice, chances are

Dell Trojan Computers