Please help! Can't create bootable floppy from BACKUP to r..

Tags:
  • Floppy Disk
  • Backup
  • Windows XP
May 19, 2005 3:26:05 AM

I purchased an 80 GB hard drive to replace my 6 GB C Drive.

I tried using the MS Backup utility's Automated System Recovery Wizard to
create
both a bootable floppy disk and a full backup of the current C drive so I
can restore
XP Home to the new disk drive. The full backup works but I get errors
saying can
not create floppy boot disk. I tried just selecting the "system state" on
the select
files to backup tree and also the "backup all data on the PC" selection.

What I was planning on doing is:

Backup C drive
Shutdown PC, install new disk as C Drive.
Boot PC from the floppy disk created by the Backup Utility.
Restore XP and other files from the backup.

My system:
PowerSpec 5333 - 300 MHz system with 256 MB RAM
WIndows XP Home Edition with SP2
My Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is an Upgrade CD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Derek Scuteri in Malden, MA

More about : create bootable floppy backup

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:31:49 PM

Better would be a Fast wizard save of all profiles, then reinstall XP and all apps, then Fast restore of your profile(s).

Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Derek Scuteri" <dscuteri@msn.com> wrote in message news:ur$X$JCXFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I purchased an 80 GB hard drive to replace my 6 GB C Drive.
>
> I tried using the MS Backup utility's Automated System Recovery Wizard to create
> both a bootable floppy disk and a full backup of the current C drive so I can restore
> XP Home to the new disk drive. The full backup works but I get errors saying can
> not create floppy boot disk. I tried just selecting the "system state" on the select
> files to backup tree and also the "backup all data on the PC" selection.
>
> What I was planning on doing is:
>
> Backup C drive
> Shutdown PC, install new disk as C Drive.
> Boot PC from the floppy disk created by the Backup Utility.
> Restore XP and other files from the backup.
>
> My system:
> PowerSpec 5333 - 300 MHz system with 256 MB RAM
> WIndows XP Home Edition with SP2
> My Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is an Upgrade CD.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Derek Scuteri in Malden, MA

May 19, 2005 2:36:24 PM

ASR is not supported in XP Home. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302700 for more
information.

New hard drives often include a disk cloning utility. Check the
documentation and media that came with the drive. If not you might buy an
imaging program like Ghost or Acronis. Also if you have a Win 9X CD, you
could install the XP upgrade (it will prompt for the media) and then restore
a full backup with system state.
--

"Derek Scuteri" <dscuteri@msn.com> wrote in message
>I purchased an 80 GB hard drive to replace my 6 GB C Drive.
>
> I tried using the MS Backup utility's Automated System Recovery Wizard to
> create
> both a bootable floppy disk and a full backup of the current C drive so I
> can restore
> XP Home to the new disk drive. The full backup works but I get errors
> saying can
> not create floppy boot disk. I tried just selecting the "system state" on
> the select
> files to backup tree and also the "backup all data on the PC" selection.
>
> What I was planning on doing is:
>
> Backup C drive
> Shutdown PC, install new disk as C Drive.
> Boot PC from the floppy disk created by the Backup Utility.
> Restore XP and other files from the backup.
>
> My system:
> PowerSpec 5333 - 300 MHz system with 256 MB RAM
> WIndows XP Home Edition with SP2
> My Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is an Upgrade CD.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Derek Scuteri in Malden, MA

May 19, 2005 5:35:40 PM

"dscuteri" wrote:
> I purchased an 80 GB hard drive to replace my 6 GB C Drive.
>
> I tried using the MS Backup utility's Automated System
> Recovery Wizard to
> create
> both a bootable floppy disk and a full backup of the current C
> drive so I
> can restore
> XP Home to the new disk drive. The full backup works but I
> get errors
> saying can
> not create floppy boot disk. I tried just selecting the
> "system state" on
> the select
> files to backup tree and also the "backup all data on the PC"
> selection.
>
> What I was planning on doing is:
>
> Backup C drive
> Shutdown PC, install new disk as C Drive.
> Boot PC from the floppy disk created by the Backup Utility.
> Restore XP and other files from the backup.
>
> My system:
> PowerSpec 5333 - 300 MHz system with 256 MB RAM
> WIndows XP Home Edition with SP2
> My Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is an Upgrade CD.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Derek Scuteri in Malden, MA

There is an easier way!

Download a trial version of something like Symantec Ghost, and use
this to do the task you want to do.

If you have the 80GB as your C: drive now, and the smaller drive as
D:, you can use Ghost to Copy Disk to Disk from D: to C:.

The partition can be expanded to fit the 80GB drive if need be, or you
can specify a size, so that you can have a second separate partition
if you so wish.

As a rough idea of throughput, a full 80GB drive to 30 minutes to
ghost across to a newer larger hard drive!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-create-boot...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217581
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:55:02 PM

Thanks, going to attempt a Win 98 install to Win XP
upgrade followed by a full backup restore.

Many thanks -- Derek Scuteri

!