Laptop stuck on vgasave

a b D Laptop
May 19, 2005 3:01:02 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (5205-S505) whose video is stuck on
vgasave. The display adapter is an nvidia GeForce 460 graphics controller. It
shows up normally in the device manager and reports that the device is
working properly. However, under the "Display Properties", it reports
"Default Monitor on *blank*" indicating that it doesn't know what the display
adapter is. The Advanced button from the Display Properties window reports
that the system is running on vgasave. The sluggishness of the display tells
me it really is running on vgasave.

I have tried completely uninstalling the nvidia display drivers and
reinstalling them. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling while in safe
mode with VGA enabled.

I've downloaded the latest drivers from Toshiba's website which are now a
few years old. I'd love to install newer drivers but since this is a laptop,
I'm stuck with the one provided by Toshiba.

I am at a loss for why Windows XP Pro w/SP2 refuses to use the nvidia
drivers even though the drivers were successfully installed and shows up as
working properly in the device manager. I understand the purpose of vgasave
and when Windows XP uses them but don't understand why insists on using
vgasave when properly working drivers have been installed.

More about : laptop stuck vgasave

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2005 5:35:37 PM

"Kevin" wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (5205-S505) whose video is
> stuck on
> vgasave. The display adapter is an nvidia GeForce 460 graphics
> controller. It
> shows up normally in the device manager and reports that the
> device is
> working properly. However, under the "Display Properties", it
> reports
> "Default Monitor on *blank*" indicating that it doesn't know
> what the display
> adapter is. The Advanced button from the Display Properties
> window reports
> that the system is running on vgasave. The sluggishness of the
> display tells
> me it really is running on vgasave.
>
> I have tried completely uninstalling the nvidia display
> drivers and
> reinstalling them. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling
> while in safe
> mode with VGA enabled.
>
> I've downloaded the latest drivers from Toshiba's website
> which are now a
> few years old. I'd love to install newer drivers but since
> this is a laptop,
> I'm stuck with the one provided by Toshiba.
>
> I am at a loss for why Windows XP Pro w/SP2 refuses to use the
> nvidia
> drivers even though the drivers were successfully installed
> and shows up as
> working properly in the device manager. I understand the
> purpose of vgasave
> and when Windows XP uses them but don't understand why insists
> on using
> vgasave when properly working drivers have been installed.

You should be able to run the latest Nvidia drivers providing that
your card is supported for them. Toshiba are usually a little
out-of-step with drivers, and the Windows website can also be the
same. I’ve found issues with drivers used from both sources, and tend
to get the manufacturers latest drivers.

First thing that would be worth trying first is to remove the monitor
and video drivers from Device Manager. Then check the
c:\windows\inf directory for anything that relates to the Nvidia
drivers to stop them reinstalling when you reboot.

Then install the newer updated ones from Nvidia.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Laptop-stuc...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217580
!