Upgrading...to GF6800

augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
I'm planning to upgrade my graphic card from Ti4200-64MB to GF6800 (From Leadtek). Current system configuration:
MotherBoard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD 2500 (Yet to OC)
Corsair 3200x2 512MB
Antec TruePower 480w ps
My sys is similar to captaintrap, could someone tell me, can my sys handle this card, or i should spend on some other card?

Also, from captaintrap post, maybe the THGC Graphics Card Buyers' Guide should also include "minimum cpu, MB,...." configuration.

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
i would say yeah it can. I have the same mobo as you. I have a radeon 9700Pro in mine, but i am soon to upgrade to a x800xt (actually thats irrelevant because im getting a new mobo ram cpu etc...) Unfortunately, having looked at benchmarks recently, i am a little confused as to whether geforce is now leading against ATI... I will have to read up :smile: but i am pretty sure your system will handle your card. If you are not sure, just read the manual for your mobo. The only downside is your athlon 2500 - its a little on the old side, but i know its good for OCing, so if your up for it, go ahead!

You are doing what I did a few months back. I finally admitted that my LeadTek TI-4400 needed upgradeing. The only thing I found that was really an upgrade was the 6800 (From Nvidia at least). I have been very happy with it, and none of my friends with 9800Pros can touch my benchmarking scores.

There is nothing wrong with using your CPU and the 6800, alot of newer games are begining to be more and more dependent on the video card anyways.

You can always use the 6800 in your next system too. Overclocking your CPU would do wonders for your performance. Even if its not a mobile chip, you should still be able to get a decent overclock out of it.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Errrr... perhaps in Doom, but <b>most</b> of the benchmarks I've ever seen, especially where AA/AF is concerned, shows the XT PE ahead of all other cards.

Athlon 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, 768Mb Corsair XMS 5-2-2-2.5, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128Mb, Seagate SATA 80Gb, Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN

pauldh

Illustrious
I'd have to agree, XTpe seems to slightly edge out the 6800U, especially at settings that stress the cards the most. I'm not sure why we are talking about Ultras or Platinums though. :wink:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

TRENDING THREADS