Internet Sharing

I am advised that to have both of my PCs on one Broadband I have to "enable
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) for the broadband modem".

Will some kind soul please advise me how do I do this?

Thank you.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

if you click on help and support in your start menu and type ics it will
present you with the information you need, or use this guide

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

good luck
--
there are no problems, just challenges

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> I am advised that to have both of my PCs on one Broadband I have to "enable
> Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) for the broadband modem".
>
> Will some kind soul please advise me how do I do this?
>
> Thank you.

microsoft will tell you some more here...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314066

Basically Internet Connection Sharing you would put two nics in the computer
that has the existing internet connection and enable ICS on it , then the
second nic gets wired to the 2nd computer. Main computer needs to be
running and connected to the net for the second computer to access the net.

My isp and many others supply a modem/router device that once configured a
bit you can then plug it into a network switch, with four ports usually -
any computer plugged into the switch has a network connection to the web.
Many people just add their own router and leave the isp's modem/router in
bridged mode. Routers are highly recommended and will make life easy when
multiple computers use the same isp connection.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:uMEEU7EXFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

"annonymous" wrote:
> I am advised that to have both of my PCs on one Broadband I
> have to "enable
> Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) for the broadband modem".
>
> Will some kind soul please advise me how do I do this?
>
> Thank you.

You don’t necessarily have to unless the broadband modem you have is
USB and connects to only one machine.

If you have an ethernet based one, you don’t need to use sharing.

If you don’t have the ethernet one, then what you need to do is enable
internet connection sharing for the existing broadband connection on
the PC that can access the internet.

It will require however, that the other PC is connected to the
internet pc via ethernet cards. You will need a crossover cable if
you connect them directly, but if you have a hub or switch, then
normal cables.

The PC with internet connection sharing, will ask you to choose the
network card, and it will assign an IP Address of 192.168.0.1 to this
card. You will then need to make sure your other machine is in the
same IP range too, eg:

IP - 192.168.0.2
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1